1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety about moving out and leaving my friends

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by RainbowGreen, Jun 24, 2014.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm moving out in a week to go to the city in which my college is. The thing is, all my friends are staying in my current city or at least nearby, while I'm going to be 2 hours away from them. I do have a licence, but I don't have a car (and it would probably cost too much to get one anyway).

I know that I'll get the chance to see them again, that we'll keep contact on Facebook and everything, but I still feel sad... I guess I'm scared of not being able to meet new people I click with over there... Also, I don't start school until the end of August, which means that I have two months to do whatever I want in the city. I know I'll have to get a job for summer to be able to pay for my food and stuff, and that I need to explore the city, but it just seems boring to me right now.

I guess I also fear that my friends will forget about me since I'm far away and they're all so close together. I always wanted to move out and be independent but I never thought that no one I know would move where I'm going (it's the capital, after all!).

I don't really know where I was going with that... Well, I don't know how to feel about all of this.

2. Dactyl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's bound to seem big and scary, you're going through a huge change.

But try not to worry too much. Instead, see this is a positive change and focus on the people you're going to meet and the new experiences you're going to have :slight_smile:

Good luck.

3. mangotree

I've "pulled up stumps" and changed cities / countries a few times - with no friends or family at the destination. I plan to do it again next year as well actually.
    Starting fresh is an amazing feeling.

Just know that as scary as it is in the lead up, it is always exciting and fresh when you get there.
    Your mind might take time to adjust to so much new stuff all at once and you might feel a little bit overloaded or crazy or homesick at times, but it always passes.
    You might get to a point where you want to give up and go back to what you know, but I strongly recommend pushing through that because the experience on the other side is AMAZING.

Just try to be open minded.
    You can be yourself without restrictions or reservations - OR - you can use it as an excuse to try out new ways of being (e.g. more confident/less shy). The new people that you meet won't know that you were shy or unpopular as a child or in high school (for example), they'll see you with fresh eyes.

If you're a friendly person, you WILL make new friends. It's fun making friends with people that you don't have a history with. You'll find people who like you for who you are right now rather than the culmination of who you used to be and who you are now.

Sorry to ramble on a lot.
    You'll enjoy it. Just give it a chance.

Peace! (*hug*)

4. katwat

Old person perspective. Even if you stayed in your hometown eventually some of your friends would drift away. As you age and mature you will all discover your own paths. This will lead to some of you growing closer while pushing others relationships apart. The really cool thing is is that while this is going on you will be meeting new people who will impact your life in whole new ways. Some of these new people will fit perfectly with some of your old friends and others will not. Over time you will have a circle of friends from all walks of life and share different interests with so many different people. It is all part of growing up and growing older. You will find that certain people will never truly leave your life even if you have times where you don't speak for long periods.

You are just starting out and there are many things that will be frightening and uncomfortable for you. Take each one as an adventure. Live for the discovery and enjoy each new thing and person.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you are very shy, chances are you will probably be able to make new friends there eventually.

I moved recently, and I also miss my friends, but I feel comforted by the fact that I can still keep in contact with them. Just think about that.

I can relate to you though because I am definitely a person of habit and the idea of going someplace new is petrifying to me. But you will surely become used to your new place, even if it is painful. Hang in there. (*hug*)

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

While talking to friends from elementary school, I noticed that we still agree to hangout together, even if we haven't seen each other for many years. That gives me hope. I also realized that they're not as far as I keep imagining and that my new city is full of events that some of them will surely want to attend! I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make friends there, too, but it's still the first time I'll really be on my own (my father does live nearby, but still :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so now I moved. So what now? I feel lonely and I'm trying my best to keep it together, but I was going crazy since I didn't have internet, so I found a local cafe to have it. I need a job... It just seems so boring since I don't start school until late August...