1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well I can't be an RN :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rosepetal, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I went to access school and the counselor that the job requires genius level students and it's way too competitive and they don't hire Lpn anymore bc they won't RNs now .and she said daycare would be good for me . Sigh I can't go to college and be an RN due to my math disability wow .

2. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No advice this time ....

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    What exactly is an RN?

4. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    registered nurse you have never of an RN in India?

5. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have had a couple friends who were RNs (Registered Nurse) and the last thing I would describe them as would be a "genius level student". If you want to do it then go for it. It may take you a bit more effort than others but if it's something you want I don't expect you to mind the effort.

6. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you man :slight_smile:

7. AKTodd

I'm not sure what an access school is, but I would question the qualifications of this person to define what a 'genius level' anything is - it's not really clear what makes a 'genius' and I doubt they have training in that area.

I've known a number of nurses in my time and while they were all smart, capable people - I wouldn't class them as geniuses, nor did I ever receive an indication that they were engaging in incredibly complex math as part of their job. The job may very well require math, and only you can judge if the requirements fall within your abilities and drive, but I don't think you have enough information yet.

I would suggest trying to locate some actual nurses to talk to and see what they have to say on the matter. Also, you can probably find the requirements for getting into nursing school online, as well as the curriculum for what is taught and how much math you need. Once you have that information you can compare it to your ability in math and your level of determination to 'power through' the math requirements.

Beyond that, I would also suggest determining what the larger goal is in becoming a nurse (e.g., you want to save lives, or improve lives, or take care of people, or whatever) and then look into other possible options that will provide you with that but which may require less math. For example, you might try to find out what is required for being a paramedic or EMT. Maybe a physical therapist or nutritionist or something like a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or a mental health counselor or similar. I've no idea how much math is required for those fields, but you can certainly find out.

Basically, even if (worst case scenario) circumstances close the door on you being a nurse - don't give up - start looking for an unlocked window. I suspect there are more than a few options in this area and that you have many more options than just daycare work.

My 2c worth,

Todd

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is never an intelligence requirement for any job. It's only whether or not you can do it. Are you sure your counselor said "genius-level"? Because even theoretical physicists, while pretty much all being geniuses, got the job because they are great at math, not because they have good IQ scores.

9. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yes I'm sure I was there

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Admission to nursing school requires college-level chemistry, mathematics, biology, genetics, and I think physics. While those aren't genius-level classes, you do have to get very good grades, since admission is very competitive. If you have difficulty with math, then pretty much all of the above courses could be a problem.

11. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not physics

12. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I know some dumb ass people that became LVN's, I mean dumb ass people like holy hell. But they did it. Even with a math disability you should look into being an LVN because just from the couple of posts you have made on the internet you are already leagues past the people I know that are already working in medical settings.

Definitely try talking to another college or technical/nursing school about that kind of option ig you can.

13. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thank you :slight_smile: what do u mean by already leagues past that I know that are working in the medical setting .

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that but I don't think it requires genius level to become a Registered Nurse. That said, and as Chip mentioned, it is highly competitive, and it is quite possible that the minimum admissions requirements rise as more students apply to it.

There is a reason why a counsellor would suggest to you that working in a Daycare would be a good option for you. I have the feeling that the suggestion is based on more than just math skills. I wonder if your written communication skills could be a factor too. To be a Registered Nurse, one has to have a good command of the English language, not only when speaking but also in writing. How did you do in your English classes?

What else did the counsellor mention or suggest in terms of career options?

15. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did very well I just was soo angry that I can't be a nurse

16. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what do u mean the suggestion is based on more than math skills.

17. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    she suggested day care ,retail ,teachers aide . They're going to test me which is good for me.

18. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In high school I did well in English and history I did okay in science but horrible in math. In college I didn't know what to do i took too many classes and picked the wrong teachers.

19. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She said she would test me what field i would be good in ,such as daycare,cooking field ,retail and teachers aide.

20. AKTodd

Is the counselor limited in what fields she can recommend? It seems odd to me that she can be setting you up for aptitude testing while simultaneously already telling you what fields you supposedly have aptitudes in. The choices she's offering also seem rather limited to me, but I'm not clear on your entire situation. Have you finished college, are you in college, or something else?

Todd