1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

emotional

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Colorful13, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Colorful13

So this is a weird question. I came out to my grandparents and requested to be called Elliott but my grandmother is being subconsiously stubborn. I have a REAL problem where I cant talk face to face about my sexuality or gender. It has to be through e-mail, note, or text. My gma wants to talk face to face but when we do that I get emotional and cry. How do I control this???:help: :icon_redf

2. katwat

Best suggestion on the name issue is to give your grandma some time to adjust. My nephew was a Junior and that is what his parents decided to call him instead of his actual name so that is what everyone called him. When he was about 12 he decided he wanted to use a NAME instead of a title and asked to be called Tony. It took everyone quite a while to get over the decade plus habit of calling him Junior. He worked it well and just reminded everyone to "call me Tony please." If grandma keeps slipping just keep replying with the reminder "my name is Elliott."

As for the face-to-face discussions perhaps a gentle "why do we need to discuss this again?" if grandma insists in the uncomfortable talks. Just a solid "I have already told you who I am and what I feel. If you have any questions write them down and I will answer them when I have time." Then change the subject or walk away. You have done your part. You opened up and told your truth. You do not have to have repetitive, heart-wrenching conversations that lead nowhere. Your grandma will either learn to respect your boundaries or you will build up enough emotional calluses to protect you from her lack of respect.

Hang in there.