1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would changing my legal name make people take me less seriously as a doctor?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wuggums47, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

When I was about 2 I renamed myself to something Gender neutral, "Tiger". Everyone I know calls me Tiger, and I was thinking it would be nice not to have a male legal name. But the only problem I can see is I'm not sure I'll get accepted to med school with a name like Tiger, and I don't know if someone wants to go to a psychiatrist named Dr. Tiger soandso. What do you think?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would certainly have misgivings about somebody who voluntarily named themselves Tiger. It works for the golfer because he's a superstar I'm guessing, but doctors need to exude trustworthiness.

But rereading your post, I don't see why that's reason not to accept you into med school. Isn't that a type of discrimination?

3. AKTodd

In my part of the world, it's not uncommon for men to go by their middle name, apparently because they have been saddled with a first name they don't like (usually by reason of inheriting the name from a deceased relative). In day to day life they go by the middle name. For things like name plates, letterhead, etc. they go by their first initial, middle name, last name (Ex: T. John Smith).

For those circumstances where you must use your first name (and depending on your age) you might make up a story about how your parents were children of the 60s and named you this, or some other such thing. Basically laugh it off with an outrageous story and people will most likely laugh with you and possibly express sympathy as well.

Another option might be to find a name or a word in some other language (past or present) that translates as 'Tiger' but doesn't sound so exotic to others, and change your name that. Sort of an inside joke for you, as it were.

Hope this helps,

Todd

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to suggest the same thing as AK Todd. I know a lot of people who go by their middle names (including, for that matter, Dr. Brené Brown.) So you could make Tiger a middle name and go by it, and essentially ignore your first name.

Also, as far as admission to medical school, I seriously doubt your legal name would be a detriment to admissions. There are an awful lot of people stuck with pretty awful names (Rainbow, Bodhi, Moon Unit, Dweezil, amerika, etc) by hippie parents and admissions committees don't really bat an eye at it.

5. Hyaline

I suspect it is all in how you approach it when asked about it.. I suspect people ask you about it. Come up with a cute story (or heck, even the truth) and explain where it came from. It isn't uncommon to be called Dr <last name>.. Then again, Dr Tiger kinda sounds like it might be interesting.. I suspect it is all in how you approach it..

6. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Dr Tiger Wuggums will see you now"
    Sounds good! :icon_bigg

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Yeah, I suppose that a lot of people with weird names just had weird parents, so that's probably what they would assume. I kind of like the idea of having Tiger as a middle name, although my current middle name is supposed to honor my dead grandpa I never knew. I'm not sure if it would be disrespectful to him to change my middle name or not.

8. AKTodd

Not sure on the legalities of this, but some people have multiple middle names. So you might be able to keep your current one and add 'Tiger' on.

Todd

9. Colorful13

I would love a doc named tiger! of course Im weird but I would make an appointment

10. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    What's wrong with being a Tiger :icon_wink

Tiger is not that much of an unusual name. If you wanted to call yourself Saucepan or Pringles you would raise a few eyebrows but with Tiger people will just assume your parents were eccentric.

11. fredd

"Dr Tiger Smith" sounds awesome. You could also play it by ear if your local patients are funny about the name and call yourself Dr T. Smith or Dr Smith and cut out your first name, changing it as and when the situation with your work changes. I honestly would not have a problem. As someone also said you could even shorten it to Dr Tiger in informal settings - which I bet would entertain bored kids. It can be playful. Ridiculous for so many people to care about image and I'm surprised by some of the comments on here. I am one of those people who cares about a person's ability or personality - not their name which is totally immaterial to me! Another thing, Dr Tiger sounds fun. If you do your job properly and are a good doctor, then this should (and hopefully would) be all that matters.

If anybody asks why your name is Tiger you could always say your parents were hippies.

And yeah sue the fuck out of Med School if they refuse to accept you on a name!

#11 fredd, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll put it this way, I process birth certificates. Tiger would be a very normal name compared to some that cross my desk. I couldn't tell you how many I've seen cross my desk in the year and a half I've been doing this that were completely unpronounceable, or had weird characters that you'd normally expect as punctuation in the middle of the name. And, if you were going into medicine, especially pediatrics, Tiger could work great. I'm certain there would be lots of kids that would love to have Dr. Tiger as their doctor. EDIT: or psychiatrist, if they're put in counseling for any reason. Might even help them open up more.