1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finished high school.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Aptiva, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I have finished high school. I've been done as of June 11 of 2014. Boredom settles in and so does worrying about the future.

I plan on going to college in a year. But I'm still insanely worried about it. I want to take two courses that really catch my attention. But what if I get rejection letters for both? What if I can never get in? We have a scholarship fund, and if that money isn't used for school we'll lose it. Then I'm really screwed and I'll end up in a lot of debt. There's more fears and things I worry about but I can't explain right now as it might be too complex and I might not know how to explain correctly.

Well, I don't know what this thread is for, or even if it's in the right forum. Oh well, any advice for this?

2. Redd

Out Status:
    Some people
    You seem like someone who really cares enough to out a good amount of effort into applying for the places you want, so most likely you'll get into at least one :icon_bigg But, there's always something else you can try if you don't get in the first time. I don't know how things work in Canada, but here there are community colleges all over the place. You could go to one of them and then apply again and transfer into the place you really want to go. Also, they're generally cheaper, so you would be spending money on education, but not in as massive an amount, and there would be less debt to worry about. Something will work out in the end, don't stress too much :slight_smile:

3. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to go to SAIT really badly, that's where the courses I want to take are. Moving out of Calgary is the absolute last thing I ever want to do. I don't ever want to live in a dorm. Yugh.

The thing I'm worried about the most is that because it's big, it's going to be competitive. If I go to SAIT, I never have to worry about a dorm because I could stay at home. Other than SAIT and possibly NAIT (but NAIT would involve moving out of Calgary) there are no other colleges that I know of to have the courses I want to take so incredibly badly. I feel so screwed -_-

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even if you don't get in the first time, it's not the end of the world. You can get a job, or do something that would benefit you or your family until it's time to apply again.
    But because you've made this thread, you've shown that you care and think about your schooling, which is more than the majority of folks, so I don't think you have a lot to be worried about.

Don't be so worried!

5. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I could try again, but I'm worried that if I did get rejected, we'd lose the money that we've been saving for college ever since before I was born. Because it is in a scholarship fund, I can only get it if I go to post secondary. There's roughly $25,000 in there and if we lose it, I am going to be so unbelievably angry and unhappy. That's the biggest thing I'm worried about. That's like 18 years worth of saving just thrown into the trash bin.

6. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why would you lose it? As long as you're still making an effort to go to school, I'd assume the money will stay there.
    Have you talked to your parents about that? Perhaps they know more.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here in Quebec (I know it doesn't work the same because we have Cegeps between University and Highschool, but still, it must be similar), we have four turns to apply. The first turn is when all the places are available in all programs. If you don't get accepted in the first turn, you have the second turn with less options and ect. until the fourth turn. Also, depending of your grades and the availability of your program (is there a lot of people who want to go there?), your interest in the program and all, that's what they'll look at when you apply. It's not as complicated as it sounds, you can get in if you show them how serious you are about it.

8. Aptiva

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's an "Expiry date" on it. If it isn't used when it matures, the saved money gets spread out around other students. At least that's what I know.