1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do??? #therapistproblems

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wanderinggirl, Jun 26, 2014.

1. wanderinggirl

The problem of being a queer grad student at a med school: there is one psychiatric MD that specializes in women's sexuality, so that's who the school mental health advisor referred me to. She is also very active in the institution-wide LGBT organization. I am also getting involved in said organization (there aren't many other options.)

Anywho there is a pride party tonight, and she's gonna be there. I think it's weird to see your therapist out and about in a social situation. Don't you? Like, what if she stands in the corner taking notes? What if we're just trying to avoid each other all evening?

This is SERIOUSLY weird. And I don't want to not go because of her, but eeekkkk... she knows things about me, she's not supposed to see me interact with people like a normal person.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, I feel you. Even though I've never been in that situation before.

Remember that being a therapist is just a part of her life, just like how you being a student is a part of your life. She's definitely not going to be in a corner taking notes, I can tell you that. You said yourself she's active in a LGBT organization. She's probably there to support people as herself, not a therapist. You know?

I know it's a little weird. I had a teacher like that. I was expecting her to be all... well, teacher-y during lunch, but she just sat with other students and looked like another student. She didn't even talk about teaching or school. They were talking about clothes or something. :/

3. wanderinggirl

I totally understand that and she definitely has a right to be involved in the only LGBT organization on campus. But I just fear being viewed in my daily life by a person whose job it is to analyze me? I don't actually think she'll be taking notes, but I feel like it's a bit of a blurry social situation.

That teacher situation does make me feel a little better though; I understand these people have lives outside of their professional life, but there are lines I feel.

4. Really

She gets paid as a therapist, right? Unless she's some kind of workaholic freak and does it in her free time, I can pretty much guarantee she's there to let her hair down, have some drinks and a good time. Not work.
    Unless you plan on doing something analysis worthy like having a panic attack or a drunken outburst, she'll probably just say hello if she sees you.
    Try to just imagine she's just an acquaintance.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If this therapist is indeed a professional, then you should have nothing to worry about. They can keep what happens in therapy separate from any activities outside of there. Of course, it would be ignorant to say, that they won't have their own opinions and perspective thoughts on matters. But if they are indeed professional, they won't let it alter their relationship with you, so you should be fine, when or if you resume your sessions.

But, if this is still making you nervous. You could always buy a mask, LOL.

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Is she a decent therapist that you trust? I say go :>

7. wanderinggirl

Good point, I'll do that next time! I'm debating between a Chewbacca and a Storm Trooper.

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2014 at 12:02 AM ----------

I do trust her, she's decent... but it still feels weird to think of us interacting potentially in a social setting. Come on, that's not a normal thing right?

---------- Post added 27th Jun 2014 at 12:03 AM ----------

By the way she never showed up. Crisis averted! It was a fun event in any case and I'm glad I went, even though it was a total sausagefest (even the pizza was sausage). I would have loved a vegetarian taco... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Lipstick Leuger

Ok, I am a Rehab Therapist, and even thought I do mostly physical things, I also deal with some Psych issues. Believe me, when we see patients in public, and I do often(and I know things about them like if they need help performing toilet hygiene)the LAST thing on my mind is any of their problems. I am happy to see them because I know them, but when I am out, it is not in a work capacity. Not only that, but she probably has so many people she councils that she will not recall the particulars of your case. Usually we review our patients cases before we work with them each time. We refer to our notes etc. Not only that, we really do have boundries and we have our own lives, so we don't WANT to do any therapy when we get to enjoy our lives after work.

I hope this helps a bit, but seriously no worries, she won't take notes of anything.:icon_bigg

9. wanderinggirl

I made the "notes" comment as a joke, guess it was a little over peoples' heads.

Thanks for sharing your experience as a therapist; it feels weird from the patient side but I guess not from the therapist side of things. I have no doubt anyone professional will handle things well.