1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to be called by my given name anymore

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Jun 27, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't like my given name , many people seem to like it but I don't , I want people to call me by a different name I'm thinking melody , or Lola I'm not sure yet but I hate my given name , I'm not sure if I want to change it on my birth certificate because it's too much paper work but I've been thinking I want people to call me by either of these names I like both of them but I like melody more but Lola is growing on me .
    How do I explain I don't want to be called by my given name and just tell people my name is Lola or Melody :confused: . I also don't want the women I date to call me by my given name anymore so I need some advice .:help:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you want to be called something else, just begin introducing yourself as that. If you want others, who have known you before all of this, to call you something else, tell them so. At worst, they don't. At best, they do. But don't expect everybody to go along easily, or at all. I have a sneaky suspicion your parents, if past threads are any indication, are going to fight you tooth and nail about this. If I've analyzed your mother correctly, and enough, she'll perceive it as "an attack" against her; she named you, and wanting another name may offend her.

On a lighter note, Melody reminds me of the drummer from Josie & The Pussycats, while Lola reminds me of Lola Bunny from Space Jam. At least these are the first two things to enter my mind, when someone speaks of these as names.

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I kinda think that Lola suits you because your posts make me LOL quite often. :grin:

4. Yosia

I love the name Lola ^.^

5. Emmanuella

Lola is cute... it's my mom's nickname actually. I vote for Melody though!! Although on second thought...Lola sounds more "lesbianish", if that makes any sense.

6. BiPenguin

If you have that thought on it and really need to rename yourself, do it. Change your name but bring your partner in on it with you so you have support.

I like Melody.

7. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

Just say you don't like your name.

8. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Really maybe girls will know I'm a lesbian now and not question it .

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2014 at 08:52 AM ----------

She will , my dad asked if I ever would change my name while we were having I lied and said No at first and then my dad kept asking and then I told him I'd change it to melody and my mom looked up and got upset and said you don't like the name I gave you .

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2014 at 08:54 AM ----------

I'll definitely tell my partner after we start dating lol glad you guys like Melody

---------- Post added 28th Jun 2014 at 08:55 AM ----------

I like the name Lola too but I'm really feeling Melody

Seems like a lot of you guys like the name Melody I'm gonna do a poll on it for fun

#8 stocking, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  9. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like Melody. ^.^ I have a teddy bear named Melody.

10. ProtegeMoi

We're named before we even have a chance to become ourselves so I don't see how it is disrespectful. Some people just don't like/fit their given name. I'm in the Lola camp, when people shorten melody to mel its not my favorite.

11. livelovelaugh

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think there is any easy way to bring it up, you just have to come right out and say it. I love the name Melody by the way.