1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go to pride by myself?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I know I asked this ages ago but here I am, asking again. I'm tempted to but I dunno... I chickened out last time. I'm a bit scared and that. I don't what to do by myself or how will I enjoy it or I dunno

I'm just kinda stuck. It's like three weeks away yet so I'm like erm... Erm... I dunno

2. AKTodd

What is the source of your concern about going to Pride? What are you afraid will happen if you go?

If you are going by yourself, I can see you possibly getting a little bored eventually, depending on how much is going on at the event, but otherwise I'm not sure what there is to be concerned about by going.

Can you provide more information please?

Todd

3. Melanie

Melanie Guest

If you enjoy other solo activities you should definitely go to pride by yourself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Just the turning up and not knowing what to do. The whole "protesters" thing kinda scares me. What if no one talks to me? I dunno... Lots of things

5. 123jump

Out Status:
    All but family
    yo I was actually having the same worries so hard core
    and I went to pride today and I actually had a great time! I brought my camera and took lots of photographs, so that made me feel like I had a purpose.

even if photography isn't your thing though, honestly just walking to the beat of the music and waving a flag and seeing all your favorite organizations have floats and just everyone being so happy is just a nice experience. plus, since you're alone, you can do/see whatever! you don't have to worry about your friends getting bored or tired.

I can't comment on protestors because I don't know where you live, but at NYC pride today I only saw one protestor, and he was super calm about it. . . he just had a really tall sign that said "repent" and he didn't even say anything verbally. . . he was easily ignored.

if you really wanna do it I say go for it!

6. wanderinggirl

Pride makes me feel warm fuzzies and I think everyone should experience that. You should go!! :-D

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I'm really in that middle ground of should I shouldn't i... I think it's just cuz I have expectations and if they not met then I'll be disappointed. Like I dunno, chatting to people, making new friends, the possibility of finding love maybe. All these things play on my mind. Well that and like what do you do exactly... Guess you could say I like things planned in way where I know where to go and what to do.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too! We had our parade yesterday and it was awesome--moved me to tears several times.

9. wanderinggirl

OMG I feel you, every time I go to an LGBT event i think I'll meet someone there or make friends. But you might be disappointed if you go in with this attitude; go to check it out and see stuff for yourself, but as far as meeting other LGBT people your best bet is to go to a meetup or some other social group in your area.

As far as what to do: there are sometimes street fairs where you can talk to people of different organizations (way to meet people maybe?). There's probably a parade you can either march in or watch; if you watch, you can turn it into a scavenger hunt (find the most elaborate headdress on a drag queen! The most rainbow-decked person! As many cute couples as you can find! Also look at peoples' faces, see the joy in their expressions. There are so many happy people (that's why it's gay pride!) at the parade. If you want to go to a party, you should; I'd recommend bringing a friend, but I think you could go if you're up for being independently social and flirty. Whatever events you go to, don't have any expectations; just put on something rainbowy and strut around with pride and you'll be just fine. :slight_smile:

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I went by myself , it wasn't as scary as I thought plus everyone was friendly .

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really depends on what events you want to go to and how the people at each event are like. What i see at pride is people love to go in groups and they all know each one in their group and stick with each other at every event. There will be some people who you can approach and they will be friendly and there are some that will be like who the hell are you like you don't fit their stereotype or they are just being rude. I would advise finding someone you can go with but that is not to say you couldn't go alone and making conversation. I totally get your fears. I went to pride with my boyfriend but it was like when I was in high school being the shy kid I would go to dances sometimes without friends and those times were a big mistake because I never approached anybody I was not close with. I was like stop fooling myself and just don't go when your friends are not going. My point is when it comes to pride you never are gonna know how people you are surrounded with are gonna react to you and there is not a right or wrong way to do it. You can try to find somebody you know and go with them or just go and get a feel for the crowd Going to pride alone while ok is not really something I seen people do and it would suck to be alone. Again I am not trying to scare you away from it but I have to be honest based off my observations.

12. attache

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm anxious going to pride myself because I don't know what to expect and I feel like I'll be really bored when I get there.

13. Emmanuella

Go for it!! I've done it! Youll have fun and nobody will care that you're going alone... no one will even notice!!

14. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would. I know where I live people are very friendly and you can easily make a new friend. I went this year and I ended up meeting a new friend which was pretty nice, I would go especially if you haven't been before it's too good to miss out on.