1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Psychologist. Advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JohnB, Jun 29, 2014.

1. JohnB

I called an office which provides psychological help. Though I haven't come out yet and it seems like a big part of doing it. I have developed trust issues and social anxiety because of staying closeted.

I called and they have adult appointments to see any of the doctors, one hour session is $160. I know that may be much, but I do not understand the process or price of this kinda thing. As soon as I get a paycheck, I am going to see one, possibly for just the hour, but I am going to move along the process without skipping important things, a second session is as far as I am going to go, nothing more. And of course avoid just taking any drugs, I know myself enough to just analyze myself to not need drugs to "fix" me.

I plan to ask questions to see if I can trust them with my problems, but I would like some advice and what not from those who have gone to psychiatrists or psychologists in what I may expect.

Any would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, John.

$160 sounds like the "rack rate" (basically, the undiscounted rate.) I don't know much about the Canadian system, but here in the US, people who are paying out-of-pocket for psychological care can generally work with the therapist to come to an affordable fee.

Also, make sure that you're seeing a psychologist or clinical social worker, rather than a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist is a medical doctor focused on serious mental illness, and tends to focus on medication rather than therapy.

Finally, if you have the opportunity to read about the background and approach of the therapists available to you, or, better yet, to have a short phone consult with several of them, that is your best bet; you'll be able to figure out fairly quickly which ones you connect with.

3. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Chip, especially on the difference between a psychiatrist and a psychologist or therapist.
    Be sure to avoid seeing a psychiatrist if you'd rather stay away from any medications.

I don't know too much of what you can do besides ask them consultation questions.
    Ask what background and studies they've been involved with. Because of it having to do with being closeted, anyone with gender and/or sexuality related studies would be a general thumbs up.
    Sadly, I don't think many have background in those fields especially since there's still advances to be made socially about these things.
    But yes, make sure that you feel comfortable talking about what bothers you before you see them.
    You want to feel comfortable and in a safe environment. And you will be, they're legally obligated to keep all of your information personal as long as it doesn't involve any danger to yourself or any others.

One side note is that you might want to look around and compare different people.
    160 is a pretty standard price for a session but it really depends on their practices and specializations.
    Therapists are generally cheaper than psychologists or psychiatrists and it might be more beneficial to give that a try considering everything.
    Remember, find someone that you'd feel comfortable talking to. That's the main thing.