1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any experince with support groups?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Basic, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I've been contemplating going to this support group for a number of weeks, and recently my job site shut down for the week, so I'm free to attend one today. So here I am sweating trying to work up the nerve to even call for information. Maybe I'm not even to the point where I can talk to other real life people. I keep on making excuses not to call, or go down. Even this is a stalling attempt; it feels like.

2. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just started in my first support group last week. It wasn't nearly as nerve wracking or scary as I thought it would be. Just keep in mind you don't have to talk much if you don't want to. Heck even if you just say, "Hi my name is (blank), and it took all my courage to just come here today." they are going to respect that. The only thing that surprised me was how in many ways we were all just average guys. If you do go, be sure to reach out to the lead facilitator to talk over what to expect. They will be able to allay your fears. I made sure to give myself a few moments in the car to do some deep breathing before going in to the group. That helped a lot.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My experience with what little real world support I had--2 PFLAG meetings--was that it was scary going in the first time, but once there, I felt a lot better.

4. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks SimpleMan and BMC77, I did manage to work up the nerve to call the center for information. (After the third of fourth cigaret)That was incredibly awkward. Loads of "Umms" and "Uhhs" Now I gotta get my butt into the car and actually drive down there. Should I show up early? Or just walk in at the time? Ugggh

5. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let us know what you ended up deciding to do. Show up early worked well for me, but I can see the advantage of not really giving yourself time to change your mind too. Even just the act of making that call required you to confront some of your fears. Definitely a step forward today you should be proud of!

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to an lgbt support group and actually made a few friends from it. I was the same way at first and one day I just looked on their website to get the info and meeting times and I showed up. The first visit was pretty overwhelming, I ended up going again a few months later and I loved it, unfortunately with my work schedule I can't go anymore :frowning2:

7. Really

For those of you who went, were the groups specialized in any way (age or preference or...) or were they just a mishmash of all sorts? Did you do any private sessions before joining the group?

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it depends on the group. Groups vary wildly as for policies.

The PFLAG chapter I went to, for example, is open to anyone who wanders in. It's mostly support for people who have LGBT family/friends, but had no problem with me being there.

On the other hand, I know of a support group in Seattle (which is apparently quite good) that is restricted to men who've been married/partnered, and they are, I gather, biased towards (but don't demand) that the men be fathers.