1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nervous about study abroad

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tardis221B, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

So I'm going to be abroad next spring in France with a group from my school. I'm happy to go and am excited, but I can't help but feel nervous especially being bisexual, or rather a Kinsey 4.75

I'm just coming to terms with this myself, and still have quite a few close friends and relatives who I will eventually need to come out to, but I'm just so worried about having to tell the people who I'm going abroad with. I'm also worried because we are going to be staying with a host family, so if I don't want to run the risk of having a homophobic host family I'm going to have to tell my professor, who is also the program director, that I need an LGBT friendly host family because I'm bisexual. And that is making me incredibly worried and nervous. It just makes me a bit uncomfortable that I have to tell my french professor about my sexual orientation.

Did any one else here study abroad when they were first beginning to accept themselves. And any advice?

2. Emmanuella

Never studied abroad... but why don't you start by looking up some LGBT groups or something in the area/school where you will be studying?

3. Jwis

I studied for a year in Europe, best time of my life. It was an amazing experience. From what I found from my host families was that they generally were more open minded and accepting of different culture. You kind of have to be to be a host family, you are welcoming a stranger from a very different culture into your home. At least that was my experience. FWIW the countries that I went to were Poland, Germany, France, Iceland, Belgium and England.