1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help in asking to see a therapist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by iamjustababy, Jun 30, 2014.

1. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically I really want/need to see a therapist, I'm not going to get in the details why but I need one, it's just I'm not sure how to ask my mother to see one! Because if I just say something like "I want to see a therapist for some problems" then she will say talk to her, the only problem is she will tell me what she thinks is good for me, not what is good for me. Any ideas on how to ask?

2. Proginoskes

It's hard to advise you on how to ask when I don't know your situation, however I think If you ask her in writing, it might mean more to her. I myself asked for therapy, in essay form (12 pages in my case) and my mother welcomed it and got me the help that I needed. Overall I think you should ask in the way that YOU think that SHE will think is the most important.

3. Akane

Well, unfortunately I have never been in this situation. I always had my mother suggest to go to therapy because talking about it can only do so much, she knows her limits and she is not a professional. She doesn't get as depressed as me and she doesn't know what it is like to have Asperger's Syndrome, but she has always had anxiety and people problems so I often go to her for those such things.

Your mother has to understand that there are somethings you don't feel comfortable about talking about and she is no professional, also the anxiety of involving a loved one is worse enough for someone who is actually wanting to seek therapy and try to solve their problems in quiet.