1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT in a homophobic country...?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by kotteknas, Jul 1, 2014.

1. kotteknas

Hey I'm a young bi guy moving to the United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi from Sweden in about a month, but the fact that it's illegal to be a LGBT there scares me.

Does anyone know what the LGBT community looks like over there? What it truly is for LGBTs and how strict laws are.

Please share stories of similar countries if you don't know about the UAE. Cause I can't move to a country where I can't live freely.

Thank you in advance

2. Najlen

I don't know about the community there, since I don't live there, but why are you going if you don't want to be in that kind of environment?

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I imagine you have your reasons OP, but "Sweden vs. UAE" sounds like it would never even be a contest. :S

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Find out if it is illegal to be LGBT or to be caught doing LGBT things in public with another man. Two different things.

I do not know the answer!

5. kotteknas

I have little choice, I'm 16.

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2014 at 10:09 PM ----------

This is what Wikipedia says:

Sexual relations outside of a traditional, heterosexual marriage are a crime. Punishments range from jail time, fines, deportation, and the death penalty. Adultery and fornication are also crimes, and a person convicted of homosexuality may also face charges of adultery if they have a spouse while having sexual relations with a person of the same-sex.

That's only sexual relations?

6. Auren

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Simply put, there is no LGBT community over there. By their laws, all sex outside of marriage is illegal, and gay sex is punishable by death just like in some other heavily Muslim countries.

They might not be so extreme as to carry out that sentence (though you would not want to risk it). They have also used deportation, chemical castration, heavy fines, and prison for homosexual activity. They might also subject the person to forced anti-gay counseling. They also punish cross dressing.

I have been in a country where homosexuality is punishable by death (the Gambia) and another where they are prosecuted (Senegal). While you are in a country like this, you cannot tell anyone about your preferences. You have to be careful how you dress and act.

I'm sorry, I hope you don't have to go there. Is there another relative you can stay with in Sweden or something?

7. wanderinggirl

Do your parents know this? Or whoever you're moving with? They could be putting your life at risk or at the very least causing you to go into the closet out of fear. It sounds pretty scary and I would never put my child through that.

If you have no other options, then if you go to the UAE focus on getting good grades keep occupied with other pursuits and move out of there as soon as possible.

8. kotteknas

How very very sad. I do have relatives though so I might just stay. I thought I'll atleast check it out for a month or so.

---------- Post added 2nd Jul 2014 at 11:26 AM ----------

Yes my mother knows, and when I told her that I was afraid of their laws towards LGBT persons she asked "But are you gay?", even though she knows I'm bi and accepts it. Although we had a talk yesterday and she said she would move back with me if I don't approve of the country. She can be two faced sometimes...