1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open relationship...questionable, uneasy feelings

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Incognito10, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Incognito10

I've been married to my husband for 4 years this summer. He wants an open relationship and we've tried it and I just fail to feel it settle as "comfortable" for me. Sure, he "says" he is willing to stop; however, each time, it always comes back up, thus launching me into the unwanted role of forcing him to do something (be monogamous) that I know he does not truly want. So either way, I am uncomfortable or he is uncomfortable. We do love each other and it kills me to think about this ending the relationship. I understand this set up works for some, but I am afraid I may not be one of them. I value simplicity, I value adopting children one day and I have a jealous side. I don't know what to do here.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around half of all marriages end in divorce and one of the main reasons cited in a divorce is infidelity, so more and more couples are trying to get around that statistic by having open relationships where sex with a n other is permitted. Thinking about it that way, you could, potentially save a marriage as 'cheating' is not an issue.... BUT.. open relationships only work if both people want it and agree to it. Otherwise you are facing down the barrel of a loaded gun.

If you want monagamy, you will find it difficult to set that aside and put any feelings of jealousy away. Jealousy has many levels to it, but it can be totally corrosive to a relationship. If you have doubts about an open relationship you absolutely must pay attention to them and be totally frank with your husband.

I know you hate to think about this ending yor relationship, but one thing is certain - it will if you go ahead with this arrangement. You cannot enter into an open relationship with lingering doubts and concerns. It will never work.

No easy way to say this, but if he is constantly raising the subject, despite your misgivings, you guys have an issue that needs addressing. You may need to be brave enough to confront it soon.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what constitutes fidelity is one of the few things that both partners must absolutely agree on--and I don't mean come to agreement on but actually agree for real, in their heart of hearts. If the open thing isn't for you it's not for you. The thing you need to realize also though is if the closed think is not for him at this point in his life it's not for him. I honestly don't think one position has any inherent superiority over the other but IMO you absolutely must agree. If you don't the choice almost certainly is break up now or break up later.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The most important thing in any relationship is authenticity and openness in communications, A close second to that is likely an ability to discuss and negotiate important boundaries and values in the relationship.

It sounds to me like you're being pushed into the idea of having an open relationship when this is not something you want to do. So there are basically three things that can happen: You can truly get to a place where you are fully and honestly OK with having an open relationship, or you can convey to your husband that this isn't something comfortable for you, and come to an agreement that it stops, or you can agree to end the relationship.

I can't express how important it is for you to ask for what you need. If you've tried and worked on it and simply can't be comfortable with a non-monogamous relationship, then you shouldn't be expected to put up with it. And likewise, for your husband, he also needs to ask for what he needs. If being non-monogamous is a dealbreaker, then it doesn't seem like the relationship will work in the long term.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be monogamous, and setting that as a value, particularly given concerns about safer sex and STIs. It's not unreasonable. What might be worthwhile is to look at why this is so important to him. Perhaps he has difficulties with commitment and intimacy and this is an "escape valve" for him. If so, and he's willing to work on it, then perhaps the both of you could go to therapy. Or perhaps something in your sexual chemistry isn't what it could be, and that, too, is something you could work on.

Often times, it can be really scary to openly talk about sexual intimacy with your partner, but if the two of you can broach that subject and go into it... and be willing to talk through whatever shame or embarrassment or discomfort comes of doing that, you might be able to uncover and work through whatever is happening that's contributing to the problem.

There are a number of therapists and coaches in various parts of the country that work with couples on these issues and if you could find one in your area, that, too, might be something to explore.

It's always a challenge to work through the issues that come up in relationships as they mature past the 3 or 4 year mark. It takes a level of openness and vulnerability that most people, gay or straight, don't find intuitive. But if both are willing to work on it... it can really bring you closer.

5. Incognito10

Thanks everyone.

Chip, it is true that I do feel forced in a way. Also, I don't completely disregard his concerns, as I understand there has got to be a reason behind all this, but at the end of the day, I just don't want to feel pressured into a situation I do not want to be in or value.