1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should people's sexuality play a role in the college they choose to attend?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by brbrow5, Jul 2, 2014.

1. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going into Senior year, I am looking at certain colleges that I would like to attend in the fall of next year. While I am searching, I can't help but to gravitate towards major cities as I feel I would have the best experiences there. I don't know what I am necessarily expecting, I am just curious what the college experience could be like for a gay student and if I should narrow my choices accordingly. What were some of your college experiences like/ do you have any tips that would help?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't really think so , you should go where you want to go unless your looking for a college that's lgbt friendly maybe :confused:

3. ChameleonSoul

I'm going into my senior year, too, and from what I've seen, even though cities are typically a more tolerant place, that is not always the case. There are plenty of urban schools that are relatively inhospitable for the LGBT community and rural schools that are great for the LGBT community. What I would recommend doing is looking to see if there are any support groups or pride centers either on-campus or nearby. It would also be good to see what the local and state laws are for LGBT rights and LGBT discrimination. Lastly, it would not be smart to look at religious schools. There are plenty of exceptions, but for the most part those that are not straight and/or cisgender are treated poorly.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was not out in college and, to be honest, it is one of my greatest regrets. If I was in a position to be out in college I think I would definitely do the necessary research to make the most of it. I think you will find with a few notable exceptions most major universities in America will be largely accepting. I think it would make sense to make sure that the universities you are looking at would be hospitable--if there is some school you really want to attend for another reason the gay thing shouldn't need to be a deal breaker but I think it's definitely an important consideration to throw in the mix. If you can go to school somewhere where you would have the opportunity to participate in a larger gay community (here is where the larger cities may come into play) I think that would also be a plus to weigh in making the decision.

5. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Universities in the major cities are usually much better than universities in small towns. Gay or not, going to major cities is better. Also, if you ever plan to do a master's or even doctor's degree, coming from a major city (especially the capital) uni would be a big advantage in getting admitted. I don't really know why you'd consider a small town uni, unless money is a big issue for you.

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going into my senior year of college and looking into grad schools this time around. My sexuality didn't affect my choice of my current school, but it might affect the choice of my next.

My general advice is to visit as many schools that you are considering attending as possible. It's the only way to get a real feel for the campus and the city. The school I'm going to wasn't even on my list until I was pretty much dragged along on a visit.

The city I live in is very large for the area but not in comparison to most major cities. I love going to a smaller school because the class sizes are smaller, most of my professors actually know my name, and I don't feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of people. Plus the surrounding area is very nice and I actually feel safe walking around the city alone.

I've lived half an hour away from a major university in a large city most of my life. I've known for years that I never want to go there because the school is huge, the class sizes are typically high, and the campus is spread throughout the city. I can walk pretty much anywhere I need to go in my city but that's not an option there. Major universities like that also tend to be a lot more selective about the students they accept.

If you can, get in contact with LGBT clubs at the schools you want to intend. Ask them what the environment is like. My school has a list of student organizations on their website, with contact emails.

#6 Aspen, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  7. BelleFromHell

I plan on going to an all girls, private college in the middle of Georgia's lesbian Mecca, once I'm done with community college.

*ducks head*

8. littlemonster11

I think it depends on the person. Personally, I couldn't attend a homophobic university or a university that was crazy conservative. I didn't really think about whether or not the university I currently attend was lgbt friendly when I was a senior in high school. However, I knew the city was liberal. I'm just happy to attend a college that seems to be lgbt friendly.

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it shouldn't. But it does.

I would personally only attend a university/college that is LGBT friendly. I need a good environment and community in order to feel happy enough to study. If I'm surrounded by homophobic douchebags, chances are, I won't be able to study reliably.

It may be different for others, but honestly, I wish to see a day when all universities/colleges are open and accepting.

10. Jwis

I disagree with this. I went to a small town University - It had the best undergraduate program that I wanted to get my major in. I had zero problem getting admitted to graduate school, now I have returned to work at that University. There is something to be said about smaller universities you have interaction with your professors, not student teachers.

I was not out in college - I wish I would have been, It would have played a roll in the college that I would have chosen. I probably would have chosen the same school, because it was a LGBT friendly school. The community is pretty mixed, but overall I haven't had any problems (I'm pretty much out to everyone now).

11. pahbee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't need to go to major cities, there are a number of gay people outside of those too. And if you're going to college, there's going to be lgbt groups and especially events.

Just search up how liberal the school is, and how open they are. Stay away from the obviously deeply conservative colleges and you'll be fine.

12. wolf of fire

Apart from avoiding any that are known for homophobia than I would say no.

13. brbrow5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the insight everyone! In particular, does anyone have any stories about their college experience as a gay student and why/why not to select a certain area to go to school. Also, how is the roommate situation?

14. offmychest

offmychest Guest

if you are closeted and want your college experience to be good, i would suggest researching school and find out (which is pretty easy to do online) if they have a successful lbgt community/group on campus. some schools in smaller college towns can have a great lbgt presence on campus and it may be better for you than a schoool in a bigger city or things could be vice-versa. my caution with picking big cities is that there's so much distractions for you. it could be dangerous because you can start getting more into the off campus club scene and lose your focus on school. schools in smaller college towns, tehre's not much else to do off campus but study. lol. but i do think that if you are figuring yourself out, it may be good to do that in a city that has other outlets for you to experience. just know yourself and your limits. your pupose is a good education, so hopefully you can find a school in a good city that gives you the best of both worlds.