1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can friends be made at pride?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Has anyone made friends at pride that are long lasting. I'm curious as if you have, how it happened. Did any of you go to pride by yourselves?

2. Yosia

Why not? Its like any other social event, you meet someone and become friends.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I just found out that in order to get in you have to collect a free wristband from one of the surrounding bars and me being by myself, I haven't stepped foot in a gay bar. I don't think I could

4. fredd

Which event are you talking about and when is it on? I have been to one pride event, on my own, it was quite a small event though, I went sort of under cover just to check it out not really involving myself which is to my regret, and I did not really talk to anyone which is my own problem. But we're talking about you here.

It sounds like what you're looking for is just a bit of social support to go into a gay bar, and it need only be someone you strike up an acquaintanceship on the day? I'm sure this is definitely possible if you approach the event with the appropriate frame of mind. Just try to identify maybe other guys who are on their own or look like they're in a similar place to you and chat to them. Assuming they're there for pride, chat away about anything at first and be friendly and after a while ask if they're heading to any bars... don't give the game away that you're desperate for someone to go in with, because desperation doesn't work...just be easy going and friendly, open to people :slight_smile: Trust in yourself, I'm sure you're a likeable guy :slight_smile:

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I have met people at Pride and one has become a good friend (strictly platonic).

Just remember that others may not look like they've noticed you, but they have...and they are probably wondering if you will make the first move because they may feel just as shy as you!

6. Really

Could you go into the bar and ask for a couple of bands? If they ask about the second one, just say your friend is parking the car. If they say he needs to pick up his own, say, "ok. I'll just take one and let him know." and then leave.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is just my strange nature, but I'd be inclined to simply wear a disguise when stepping into the bar. Perhaps a trench coat, hat, and dark glasses.I could pretend I'm a spy heading to get the Top Secret microfilm, which is hidden inside the wrist band.

8. wolf of fire

I think you can make friends anywhere so yeah

9. mangotree

If you're talking about the pride afterparty - then it's about as likely as making friends at a bar or nightclub; not very likely but not impossible.
    You're probably more likely to make new friends if you go alone though - it's kind of a survival instinct for most people.

If you're involved with a group/float in the pride march, chances are you'll have made friends in that group before the march.

I have a couple of friends that I met at gay bars and we've been friends for several years. They were there alone - I was there with friends - they asked if we wanted to play pool, talked and found common interests, went from there. Pretty simple.

#9 mangotree, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually made lots of friends after my first pride parade--many of whom I am still friends with 20 years later. But I didn't make them at the parade; I made them in a bar immediately following the parade--and I went to my first pride (and my first gay bar after) alone.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have not made long lasting yet being as this was my first pride but they are talking to me which is nice .

12. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Idk about the long lasting part. But I made a friend at pride this year and she seemed pretty cool. I met a girl that I've been friends with for over 3 years now at a lgbt youth group that participates in pride and were still great friends.