1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to travel badly - but how?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Son of Sun, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello! (!)

I really, really want to travel from a long time. I'd love to see foreign countries and cultures - not important which ones, maybe not eastern ones or similar to my country. I think that such travels could enrich me, maybe help me to overcome some of my weaknesses, show me that "I can".

Moreover, last year was really difficult, I had lots of work and I badly need vacations. I don't feel particularly happy, even though I have received promotion in work, finished bachelor studies with very good grades etc. I still feel overwhelmed by work. I heard several times that perhaps I need to take vacations, go for a journey. Last year, I spend roughly all the summer working in my corporation.

I agree! I don't have university now, I can take a leave in work. Just my questions is - how to do this? I've figured out that there are sites where I can find information about cheap plane travels, sometimes hotels or B&B, so that's not really a problem. The problem is with whom should I travel.

Is there any sense to travel solo?
    Right now my mother is molesting me to go somewhere with her, but I guess that even traveling alone could be better than with overprotective, overcaring and overloving mother.
    My significant one refused to go with me due to financial obstacles.

Any idea, how can I fulfill my recent dreams and go for a journey? :help:

2. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. If I were you I would arrange to meet people wherever I travelled. I would arrange for people on this forum to Private Message you to tell you that, if you travelled to their area, they would be happy to meet you and show you around. That way, not only would you have people to chat to but also you would basically have your own personal LGBT travel guide too! Just an idea... good luck :slight_smile:

3. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for answer! Ye, that's a good point, I was thinking about trying to meet locals. Do you have recommend any site? I've discovered such site like coachsurfing or meetup. But I'm not good in building public profiles, so perhaps coachsurfing isn't for me. Any better tool?

Has anyone got experience of solo travel? I was thinking about staying in hostel, only problem is that I am pretty shy, what also makes all the idea much more difficult.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spent a year traveling through India and Nepal alone when I was your age. I had a travel fellowship which covered my expenses but lots of people I met managed without that kind of support. It was wonderful!! I met so many people--both locals and other travelers--and a lot of the travelers were traveling alone. A lot of times I would hit it off with someone and then we would travel together for a few days, a week or even a month. I'm so glad I did it when I did because it would be impossible to do such a long trip now that I am more established. If you are able to pull it off I think you should definitely do it!

5. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ay! I guess travel around India isn't best for the beginning. I wanted to try something smaller, in Europe, definitely without leaving my studies and work. Well, I could do such a thing, just a for a little bit shorter period of time. With someone who could show how to do.

And you? How have you started traveling?

6. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oi, I can't tell you how much I wish I knew you right now! :icon_bigg I can relate with you so much in everything you said in that post. Over the past 2-3 years Ive developed a really bad thirst so travel the world but there's so many obstacles in the way. My parents wouldn't even want go with me so that's not an option (they'd be just as overprotective as yours though, I know it). I actually started learning Spanish around a half-year ago largely because I expect to go to a South American country one day and experience what it's like down there.

You didn't seem to mention money as an issue. Im assuming that you're still studying in college/university, have you considered studying abroad at all? If your good friends can't go, travelling with other students is the next best option and that would still be crazy satisfying :slight_smile:

7. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could always look up projects abroad? You do have to pay to go but they house and feed you, you get to work and stay for long periods and working could help meet other people. Also you could use your degree and boost your job prospects when you get home with some overseas experience. Just a suggestion :slight_smile:

8. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Youth hostels are a good way to travel in Europe, and you automatically meet people. I'm pretty sure Interrail tours are still in fashion. Back in the day I would have purchased a good travel guide, I suppose there are web-sites for all that now.
    As for travelling companions: It's possible to do it alone but it can be safer or more fun with a group. Is there anyone at work who might want to travel? Maybe there's a bulletin board at your university or work for people looking for travel partners? At my University people used to put advertisements in the school paper when they were looking for a travel companion.

9. Gabe92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For traveling Europe, I've found the train is one of the best ways. However it can take quite a while to get to places. Most of the time a car is faster, or you can buy plane tickets through Orion Air.

It's always more fun to travel in a group than by your self. Try to find or make friends to travel with, I live in Europe for work right now so it's easy for me to say that. Unfortunately I'm not to sure what to suggest for you if you can't find someone.

10. CharlieChalk

You could always travel via conservation/community projects. Depending on companies etc, they can vary between 2 weeks to 6 months. And you can go to some really random (and wonderful!) countries. It's also a good way to immerse yourself in the local culture as you'll be working with the locals/living in their community. Depending on the type of project you go on, it can also look good on your CV :slight_smile:

11. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for all the answers! (!)

Days ago I felt like being possessed by the idea of travel, I spent hours planning or daydreaming about the travel. And finally I did something! I've found really nice discounted flights and started browsing local couchsurfers. And eventually to wrote to one, who seemed to be trustworthy, caring about guests, friendly. Well, he accepted my request! :icon_bigg

Wow. After a long time of being emotionally cold I felt real excitement and happiness. I think that's the best I could imagine, of course if we will get along. But surprisingly he's coming to my city, so I can be of guide and meet him. I am so happy that finally I have a chance to travel! :thumbsup:

I am thinking about going to Spain, since I was learning Spanish for a few years :slight_smile: I know a bit of Latin America countries, more I know more I am afraid of :eek:

I intend to study abroad for a semester on a exchange programme, but for that I'll have to wait over a year. And yeah, money isn't an issue, but I don't want huge trip at the begging.

I guess you are right with youth hostels or project, but I think first I need to get some experience. I hope that thanks to my first trip I will become more confident! :slight_smile:

12. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm really excited for you and I'd imagine that the word "Excited" is an understatement (!). I've heard all about couchsurfing and ever since then, hotels don't seem nearly as relevant in travelling anymore haha... I fully intend to coachsurf the hell out of my travels if it's possible. Wait.. so he's coming to your city and you're going to his as well? Im sure you guys will be fine haha, travellers always get along together well enough :wink:

What do you mean by that? :eek:

Spain is pretty high up on my list too, specifically Tenerife... that would be so amazing :icon_bigg . But being on mainland Spain you'd have access to such a wealth of different cultures and languages by going all across Europe, I think I'd die from how happy I'd be hahaha. I wouldn't go alone though, I want to go with someone else and they have to know what they're talking about.. don't want to travel with a geographically unaware person :lol:

13. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That would somehow explain your nickname :lol: I had lessons with several native Spanish speakers and they've really gave me food for thought. Spain is very diversified, every province has it's own culture and tradition and some are completely different than Castilla. I'd like to visit some less known regions, like País Vasco, rather than touristig regions.

I work Latin America countries and I have in work several person who have travelled (what the heck forum's dictionary?) there. It's completely different than European countries, especially supersafe like Poland. At least comments about México, Colombia and Venezuela sound scary :grin: for example in those countries you shouldn't/aren't allowed to go to province without assistance of security or Policía Turística. Just I guess you have to be a bit more careful :slight_smile:

Yeah! Sounds like a great deal. Actually, it´s quite a coincidence, because in a few days he´s visiting with a friend my country for a few hours, so I could be his guide. Not a host. He could be my guide, and host as well, in his place (!)

14. Tenerife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm the same way actually, with wanting to travel to obscure locations that most other people wouldn't travel to, or even know to begin with. My knowledge of Spain isn't profound enough to know how cultures differ across regions other than Catalonia but that just adds to the pleasure when I discover them :slight_smile:. I'm the type of person that if I said "Im going to Mexico", I'd be going in the city to try and experience life there rather than chill out on a beach and live in a resort... I don't see much gain in that. Might as well have went to a beach in your own country!

Oh yes I know about the political unrest in Colombia and Venezuela, I have quite a few friends from those 2 countries and I've heard plenty of horror stories out of Venezuela in particular. Lots of government crackdown on their own citizens :frowning2:. I have friends from Mexico as well but I haven't ever heard that you'd need to be assisted by security travelling around Mexico. In terms of travelling I've always had my eyes set towards Costa Rica/Chile/Argentina... far safer. I'd like to put my Spanish into use and explore latin america without feeling on edge :slight_smile:

Yeah out of ALL the places in the world he happens to be going to your city and you're going to his, haha! "In a FEW DAYS?" I was under the impression that he was coming in a couple months at least but wow I didn't expect it to be so quick and casual haha :grin:. Makes me want to get onto doing what you did but I'm slightly too young to be trusted by the world! Where is this guy/his friend from?

15. theres a thing called workaway where people advertise jobs they need doing and they give you a place to stay if you work for x amount of hours a week for a few weeks usually, thats a way to get free food (sometimes) but deffo free accomodation. all you have to do is pay for travel getting there and have some money for food, but most get 2 meals a day included in there stay. thats an idea. but not good if you are a picky eater.

if not then, maybe try using hostels. if you want to travel that badly then you will find a way, you have to figure out what is essential to you and what isnt like a shared bathroom is cheaper than ensuite e.t.c. just have to save some money and write a list of things that you cannot live without, then go from there. also if you are stuck for train fare money there a thing called blahblahcar i think or something and people advertise journeys they are making in cars and people catch a ride for x amount of money. so essentially car sharing. way cheaper than trains usually.

16. Beetle

I want to travel too, mostly a roadtrip across Canada and the US as well as Scotland and Ireland. I also want to experience these things while young. I'll wait a while till I saved up enough money and try to take the time off.

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can second hostels - me and a friend stayed in a hostel in Paris last year near the Montmartre. It was €30 per person per night. The cost of plane tickets was around €239 per person using a budget airliner. We want to do the same thing this year, but in a different city. I'm thinking Barcelona - I was last there in 2006. Or maybe we'll hop from one city to the next, and use Couchsurfing to find a host (but I'm a little reluctant to use that service).

#17 imnotreallysure, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  18. Son of Sun

Son of Sun New Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! Same me. I was very upset when my parents decided to mostly stay at hotel and use it's facilities rather than explore nearby area. :eusa_doh:

Recently I have watched a very nice document about the war in México between vigilantes and drug cartels. I was procuded by Al - Jazeera, so quite reliable :icon_wink
    I heard that Cancún is the best of the country. If course, it´s a city for tourists, but still.

Ye, on the other hand I heard a few very positive stories about Argentina and particularly Buenos Aires.

Yee... that´s quite a coincidence (!)
    They are living currently in Stockholm.
    Oh well, I would trust you (*hug*)

Sounds pretty expensive :dry: As I´ve seen the cheapest hostels in Stockholm starts from around 30EUR too, but discounted flight costs from 6EUR to 25EUR (if you reserve in advance of a few weeks and not on the weekends).
    Why you´re reluctant to Couchsurf? I have no experience yet, but it seem to offer wondeful possibilites! :grin:

19. trojan

I backpacked around Asia and Africa for 23 winters now. I go for 6 months at a time. There are more and more people traveling all the time, and so you meet a lot of friends along the way. I prefer to travel alone, and then I meet many people along the way. Look at Lonely Planet. they have a forum, and books, and blogs. And google it. There is so much info about backpack travel that your question is sort of moot.
    Pack your backpack, buy a ticket , get a 'Lonely Planet' guide book, and have a good time. Last winter I was in Nepal and Thailand for 6 months. I spent US $14 a dayX180 days. That was not including airfare though. Happy travels