1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotional sensitivity.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nychthemeron, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a person who is extremely sensitive.

If someone gives off an annoyed vibe? I feel like shit, even if I didn't annoy them.
    If someone disagrees with my opinions? I feel like shit, thinking I offended them.
    If someone is actually offended? I feel like shit, because I made them feel like shit.

Thing is, so many people are willing to forgive me.

I'm not.

I can't accept that I made a mistake. I feel terrible for making others feel terrible. It's also why I hesitate to go to my closest friends and family members for advice.

I have the everyone makes mistakes and that's okay mindset, but as you can see from my member title, I'm a sensitive hypocrite.

Sometimes, I feel like I should simply go away in order for people to be happier. It sounds altruistic, but it really isn't. If they're happy, I'm happy. That's just how I work. I'm 'selfless' for selfish reasons.

How do I deal with this?

How can I accept that I'm just a flawed human being, who will be disliked by others, and I can't do anything to change it?

The thought of me being self-centered, unlikable, and undesirable just makes me hurt, even though I completely understand that that's just how I am.

I'm sometimes selfish.
    I'm sometimes irritating.
    I'm sometimes offensive.

And, wow, I wish I can just accept that. My brain keeps telling me that I'm selfish, irritating, and offensive 24/7, and no matter how shitty my self-esteem is at that moment, my optimistic personality still manages to deny that.

Help me. Please. I think I'm going through some dramatic phase of self-hate and self-love.

:dry:

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yea, i would also need advice too

3. black-cat

I'm no help here, I am in the same boat. I feel like a worthless piece of shit for annoying someone or for giving of a bad atmosphere when I'm tired, or pretty much anything. I've felt like this for a few years, and beat myself up about it.

I found that music and other calming techniques help a lot, but aside from that, nothing. *hugs,

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the empathy, everyone.

But does anyone else have any advice? For the sake of all of us. >>;

5. Incognito10

I am hypersensitive too. Even if someone acts slightly annoyed, gives a short answer or disagrees, it sends my anxiety levels really high. Best advice I can give is to just be aware you are very sensitive and understand that oftentimes when other people react the way they do, it is not directed to you personally. Also, you can try therapy during which a counselor will help talk about your perceptions so you can realize they are just that (your perceptions).

6. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm the same way, don't really have any advice sorry :frowning2:

7. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not sure if it helps in any way, but you made me feel better and all you did was post your thoughts? I get the feeling we over analyse and maybe we take responsibility for things we shouldn't, if you werent at fault or feel you cant help it doesnt mean your presence or attempts arent later taken in as helpful.

Sometimes I can be off with people and Im on the other end because I only figure out later that in reality that person was trying to help and my in the moment feelings should of spared that person from feeling they were in the least bit responsible.

We arent perfect, but we are pretty damn close by trying.

8. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much, both of you.

I'll take your advice to heart. It's probably going to be hard, but I'll try to keep a general optimistic attitude, I guess.

It's really appreciated, and I think you spoke the truth, Brodie. I totally agree with you on that one.

Don't apologize. It's a comfort in itself to see that I'm not alone in this.

9. glbt

glbt Guest

no matter how sensitive never let anyone tell you to block out those emotions.
    I am got that way now im trying to learn to display them properly..

10. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Along with struggling with social anxiety I struggled with emotional sensitivity and it affected me a lot. I had one lady who I worked with who was a typical loudmouth and a very in your face personality. If you did not fit her personality or had a confrontational personality than she was your worst nightmare. She saw my weakness for being shy and never standing up for myself and I think she used it against me. She would yell at me for every little thing and if you asked her a question or there was a problem that was no fault of your own you wouldn't know if she would yell the hell out of you or take it well at all.It was terrible experience and the woman was in her fifties and had some seniority so one dared her pushed around or report her.

There is nothing you can do but improve your own self esteem and find ways to keep yourself positive and busy and better ways ways to handle your emotional problems.

11. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you, you two.

But, you see, my self-esteem has actually risen from a while ago. By far. It came from the point where I thought I was absolute shit and that I fail in everything to the point where I thought I was actually a decent person and that I found beauty in everything I did.

It's a wonderful feeling, to have better self-esteem, but my emotional sensitivity as not gone away, and my emotional management, as dano218 mentioned, needs a lot of improvement. It's really bad. Haha.