1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social anxiety and being in the closet

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kenzie, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Kenzie

Ok. so, I have social anxiety. Like, extreme social anxiety. It's better than it used to be but I still can't talk to new people or go out by myself and do stuff. Which is a problem because I don't really have any friends where I live. And even if I did I haven't come out to anyone I know. I really want to meet people in the lgbt community though and make friends and have fun with people who I know will accept me. But just the thought of going to meet people makes me crazy nervous.. I have no idea where I'm going with this, it's just me ranting I guess.

Does anyone else have this problem? If you do, you can come talk to me. We can be sad and anxious together.

2. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have moderate to severe social anxiety, it used to be very severe before I got on my current meds and spent 3 months at the hospital.

I could manage to go to pride this year, but I couldn't get myself to talk to anyone there.

How about the internet though? Seeing as you've written this post, you seem able to talk to strangers online.

Maybe you can join online dating websites or groups for lgbt people in your region on facebook and the like and talk to people online there.
    And then maybe once you get to know someone via the internet, it'll become easier for you to meet them irl?!
    That worked for me anyways. Once I already knew those people for a while online, my brain apparently moved them to the " not a threat" category and when I actually met them the anxiety was bearable.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I have really bad social anxiety too. I don't know how I can ever come out, and dating seems almost impossible.

4. Kenzie

I'm okay with talking to people online. I'll try that and hope it helps. I'm glad it worked for you :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2014 at 11:04 PM ----------

You can come talk to me :slight_smile: I probably won't be much help since I have the same problem but it might be comforting for both of us to know we're not alone :slight_smile: