1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can going around gay venues and even clubs help me in the love department ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Jul 8, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I only went to a gay bar once and I'm planning to go again the reason the most obvious is I want a girlfriend but another reason is i want to make lgbt friends as well , I have way too many straight friends just too many and I hate the having to come out to them and risking them not being ok with me being a lesbian and I want to be friends with people like me for once so I want to make friends and i know that part is easy but the hard part is finding a girlfriend , I've heard mixed reviews some people say the gay bar is the best place for a baby lesbian to get her feet wet and get a girlfriend another said it's not a good place . Also someone said I could network myself to other people but I don't know how to do that ? :confused:
    so i'm out of luck I'm still going to the gay bar but i'm just going to keep making new friends more of a goal and getting a girlfriend on the back burner being that not many lesbians frequent this bar but then again maybe more will show up and I could be wrong but I'll try .
    what should I do you guys I'm not even sure if what I'm doing is right ? I tried online dating that shot to hell and now i'm going in person and I don't know which is better and if I'll meet anyone or not ? :confused:but I sure as hell feel lonely :icon_sad:

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Any one:icon_sad:

3. HTBO

Go for it! I think you have the right idea, you are looking for friends, and if you happen to meet someone who has more potential, bonus. The only thing you need to consider is the type of friends you want. There may be other people in the bar like you and not sure where to meet other people. But, there is also the possibility you may meet some people who like to drink a little more than others. If that's what you like, then it's a good place to go, if not, be selective. I haven't come up with any great ways to meet people yet, but I completely understand the need. Good luck

4. Jenna0780

I guess it would depend on what you're looking for as far as a relationship. If you're not looking for a serious, long-term relationship, I would recommend a bar. If you are, maybe just hanging around in the gayborhood area would be better. It is possible to find love in a bar or club, I'm not saying it's not, but bars and clubs are mainly for people looking to just have fun for a night. It's a great place to meet people and make connections, but some people (like my ex) can only have fun when they're at bars, which wasn't much fun for me, because I don't drink very much because I don't find much pleasure from it, and certainly isn't what I was looking for from a relationship.

5. UsernamePending1

Vancouver[Mon-Fri]-Calgary[Sat-Sun], Canada
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you go, make sure you go without the expectation of finding that partner, but if it does.. HORRAY!!

Just try to have fun and enjoy it when you're there for the moment, don't dwell on how you didn't find someone tonight, try to just approach people and maybe something might happen

6. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely possible--and I think if you actually enjoy gay bars and go over time to enjoy yourself they can be a great way to meet someone special. I met my partner of 16 years in a gay bar and have many friends who met their partners that way. If on the other hand you are planning a partner-hunting excursion, you're almost surely going to be disappointed. As far as the making gay friends part I think they can be a great way to widen your circle of friends--again I met a really large portion of my long-term friends in gay bars.