1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad obsessions I think

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Akira12, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk if I can put this here but need some help or advice. I keep getting obsessed about things like fanfiction for example. I can't stop reading it or put it down and do something else. Same with some video games. I would read all day without breaks if I could and it's gotten to the point were if I can't read or play I'm upset and broody. How do I stop it? I still want to read but not as much, I want to be able to do other things other then being a couch potatoe. I realize I've gotten so much worse and wish to stop and somehow control it if that makes any sense? Ty for reading all my rambling if u got this far lol hope you all have a fantastic week!

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to be the same way, actually.

The only solution I found was to finish all the good ones, then stop searching for more good ones.

When you get the temptation to search for fanfiction or more videogames, stop and do something else.

AKA find a new obsession. LOL.

Sorry that wasn't exactly helpful, but it's what I do. Or did.

3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol that's actually a great idea imo. Finish all the fanfics I have in my to read list then stop and don't look for more! Though I do have an app,to read my favorites offline but then again after awhile they might get boring. Maybe. Lol need to get a job that might help xD

4. TheStormInside

I have the same problem. I get really obsessed with certain things, including fanfiction. I've found there are only two things that work.

1. What Nychthemeron suggested, read/play all the good ones. That may not help you if you can't stop yourself from looking for more, though, and will take awhile to go through.

2. Go Cold Turkey. Swear to yourself you won't read or search for any more fanfiction, or play any more games, at least not until you have a specific length of time you can devote to them (like say a boring weekend with no other plans). Then follow through and do your best to avoid the things that are obsessing you.

5. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Both those decisions are fantastic TheStormInside. I don't have very many left to finish so I think I might combine those two. Finish what fics I have left then stop reading altogether unless I have nothing better to do or a car ride! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! ^_^