1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't believe it. I'm actually going to pride

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Well it's not for a week yet. It's on 18th, 19th and 20th with the main event being on the 19th.

I chickened out last year but this year it looks like I'm going. Well I'm actually going on the 18th just to see what it's like and get a feel for what it's like. I've actually managed to arrange going with a small group on that day so at least I'm not going by myself.

So I guess I'm just looking for advice or experiences of your first time going. I really wanna go on the main day but the group I'm with on Friday can't so in kinda, slightly hoping I can make friends with someone who is going the Saturday but I guess if Friday goes well then I could probably go by myself.

I hope this makes sense

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a little intimidated at my first pride. I didn't know what to expect and my parents met up with some family friends who are gay and go to pride every year. I loved it and even though pride already happened here I can't wait to go back. It's definetly an unforgettable experience. I've only been to the parade and shops that are setup afterwards, but next year I hope to go both Saturday and Sunday. Overall it's great, you see little kids and their parents and everytime I see that I just think that I can't wait to have kids and be able to take them to pride with my wife one day.

3. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do please tell us about your experience. I'm not enthusiastic at all about the idea of going to such an event, as the community at large tends to disappoint me though I do of course support the events happening. If it turns out well for you, maybe I'll go to one myself one day.

4. wanderinggirl

Hey congrats on actually going! Making friends on friday night sounds like a really good plan, but even if that doesn't work out you should still go for the main festivities. I think some people on this forum brought up the point that if you go to pride alone, you could at least take a bunch of photos, so it'll give you a purpose for being there.

5. katwat

Congrats on getting to go. I dearly wish we lived close enough to a place with a Pride Parade so we could go. The nearest with any kind of Pride celebration is over 3 hours away.

6. AAASAS

I think the events are alienating in places that are already tolerant of homosexuals like Canada.

Pride is for basically super gay people here, and doesn't have the same meaning. Since most people tolerate it there is no need for pride, it's basically become a public display of sex, which is fine, but not something I'd ever want to be a part of.

7. Akane

I went to my first pride this year as well! On the 7th of June. I was excited more than nervous I think because it was a small pride, I went to the one in Tulsa, Oklahoma, my birth place, and I know how Tulsa is so I brought protection (friends/body guards, THAT kind of protection hehe) it was a bit overwhelming and it is best to go when you are in a good mood, otherwise you will just feel swamped with all the people there. I had a great time all though one of my friends thought the parade was a bust.

I was in Tulsa for that weekend. Went to a club Friday night, festival on Saturday, and pride in the park on Sunday, I felt a bit blown out so, just a warning to take it easy and enjoy where you are, or you will feel like you need a vacation afterwards. lol.

#7 Akane, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014