1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping a journal

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nychthemeron, Jul 13, 2014.

?

Does your journal/diary/log/etc. help you?

1. Yes.

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Sometimes.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  4. I don't have one.

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm thinking of keeping a journal.

My thoughts are extremely capricious and I cannot keep them inside. It's why I spam the hell out of the 'What are you thinking?' thread. If I don't say anything, I will get irritated and extremely agitated.

Not sure why.

In any case, I'm not really seeking advice on that. I'm just wondering that, if you keep a journal, diary, log, etc., does it help you?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't personally have one, but if you think it would help you then you should try it.

3. hoodie boy

I don't keep a written journal, but I do keep a sketch book on me at all times. I imagine that drawing helps me vent in the same way writing poetry or recording thoughts helps other people. You should give it a try if you think it'll do you some good.

4. Pusheen

Pusheen Guest

I don't have a diary, but I'm thinking of starting one. It can help so you won't have to keep things bottled up.

5. IceKunoichi

I dont have one but I should probably get one.I know when i was younger I would buy one and not write in it but I should really try again.

6. Adarya

Most of my emotions and thoughts go into my writings, and that is normally how I express them at the end of the day. I have kept some logs though of major events in my life, as well as specific days where I was feeling more down than normal. They do help me get my thoughts out, so they won't stay around stressing me out and whirling around in my brain for hours.

7. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

My mind immediately feels relaxed afterwards. Don't try an online journal-program cause those aren't nearly as therapeutic as physical pen n paper. Also, if you're a sensual person, I reccomend leather. The smell is gorgeous, the pages are usually handmade, so they're kinda rough, and the back of the leather has the most calming texture ever. My credibility includes having anxiety issues and owning 4 leather journals, 3 filed, one halfway.

8. PaganPoetry

I tend to have a big mouth and spill to friends (who I might not have known for too long) my personal life or negative rants....so I decided to start my diary to help me vent things out and it also helps me to carefully realize the importance of things because sometimes something that's making me angry rn Ill just go back and laugh at it later

9. I write down what I think of as my 'big thoughts'. I don't bother with small day-to-day things really, mostly because if I force myself to write about that stuff, I tend to stop doing it. With some people writing every day about everything really helps them and they like it, but I'm not one of those people.

It is really helpful to sort out my thoughts about important things in my life, and also it's really cool to keep a record of who I am and what I think about things for posterity's sake.

Journaling is a great idea for people whose thoughts tend to spill over, as you said yours do, OP

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not a daily journal, but when I have a lot on my mind and my thoughts and feelings are becoming disordered and messy I start logging and dating them in a simple word document. Over the years it's been an invaluable means of coping with some really turbulent life events and I'd highly recommend it.

The benefits, as I see them are:

Clarity - I have time to really consider my feelings and how I want to express them in a logical written format that will make sense to me when I read them back.

Reference - something to look back on and check if I have moved on (or not) and to see if there are any developing patterns.

Stress relief - writing it down is cathartic. It helps to remove the jumbled up or painful thoughts from my mind.

Relationships - I'm able to look at any issues that are developing/have developed with other people. I can then take action to deal with those issues in a more positive and reasoned way, rather than steaming into a situation with all guns blazing.

No judgement - I can record my feelings without being given unwanted advice, critical opinions or feeling judged.

If I see something really big in the words I write, I'll normally take it to my partner or some really good friends for emotional support and a second opinion, but overall, the writing process is enough. It's my own self help toolkit.

I'd give it a try.

11. ABeautifulMind

Yep. and Yep.

You should try it. It is cathartic. Plus sometimes you write something down you never realized you felt.

12. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried, but I can never keep up with writing in them and I don't want anyone to find it 0.0

13. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always tried to keep a pen and paper journal when I was younger, but I would write in them for a few days and then lose them. A few years ago, I started keeping a journal on my computer. It's just a Word document hidden away in a folder. I used to keep it password-protected for extra security, especially when I was using my mom's computer. Every year, I start a new word document.

It really does help me, especially when I need to vent or I'm high anxiety. It helps get all of my thoughts out into a coherent form and then I can see things that I didn't think about when they were swirling inside my head.

14. birdking

I write in my journal (or try to) at least once a week. It helps just to get my thoughts out there somewhere so they're not stuck in my head, you know?

It's nice to write it down.

15. Greeley

I have a soft of... "vent book".
    Basically i got this idea from a TV show where they say the best way to get something out when you can't say it to the person is by writing it down.

So thats what i did, its mainly addressed to my boyfriend, he's never seen it and never will see it. When he does something or did something that has upset me or made me question our relationship. I write it in the book to try and kind of release my anger or hurt. And honestly, it helps. Its about 3 pages full at the moment. Not a lot of stuff, i just go into detail but i've basically completely forgot about the bad things that were bubbling up inside me.

16. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds pretty good, then. Thanks for your input and experiences, everyone!

17. Akane

Unfortunately, I don't keep one. But I probably should. I write notes to myself all the time. And then I lose them. -___- So much for that.

18. kelly96

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have one and I find it really helps me. Especially when I wasn't out to my friends or when I feel like I cant talk to my friends about it. It makes me feel less overwhelmed.

19. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its a very good idea.
    I do mine in a password protected 'Word' document on my computer so it can't be read by snoopy people !!!

20. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never kept one. Partly because I'm lazy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but also because I don't want the risk of someone finding it. Plus I'm not good at articulating inner thoughts, emotions, etc. anyway.