1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Brodie, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I have touched on my anxiety before but I wondered if anyone else had social anxiety and how they dealt with it. My anxiety can result it "fit like" panic attacks were I tense all my muscles, get hot, shake and struggle to breathe. It is starting to effect my uni because now I am in classes without my friends I find I don't participate or even show for my lessons.

Should I go to a doctor and start taking something, or is there something else anyone has tried to give them more confidence and social awareness and control to do things which trigger their anxiety?

2. Greeley

I used to have terrible anxiety back in the day, the only reason it (kind of) stopped was because i literally told and forced myself to stop it. I pushed myself into awkward predicaments to try and handle them and whenever i started to feel that horrible burning inside where i feel like i just want to sink into the ground and not exist, i tell myself no. Just no. You can do it. Just take a breath and off i go.

I used to have terrible anxiety when going to job interviews, speaking on the phone and even asking someone in a shop where something is but i knew i needed to do it so its as if i was behind myself, physically pushing myself towards whatever that needed doing.

Now at work i can pick up the phone quite easily. Still slightly iffy but not bad. I'm fine with asking anybody for anything. It's all coming together!

If you feel like that won't help you, i recommend you going to the doctors, maybe some prescribed can calm you down.

3. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm nervous about it because I have exams soon and I don't want to be anxious about getting to the room and sitting with other people, I will be nervous about the work enough really.

I am better in my current job, I am pretty confident there, it mainly crops up around my family or around my education at the moment both of which are pretty stressful right now. I complained a lot on my first post about how I feel a little rubbish and I think being so busy isn't helping too much, I start to get anxious I won't have enough time and then that is the catalyst for every other ridiculous thought I get, it's really quite frustrating.

I think its mainly exam nervs, I don't know. I hate the drive I have to take and then find somewhere to park, then make sure I pay my parking ticket and get to the right building, find the right person, find the right room... it just seems to build. Hopefully my job will help with the meeting people and being more confident but I guess I will see, I really don't fancy taking pills or anything for it, this is nothing compared to when I was younger.

Thanks for posting :slight_smile:

4. Even if you're not interested in medication for your anxiety (and I don't blame you, I'm the same way) it could be really helpful for you to see a therapist about it. Cognitive-Behavioral therapy is helpful in that you learn how to deal with the anxiety you're already feeling, and then when you're prepared to do that, you'll do small amounts of exposure to what triggers your anxiety using what you've learned and practiced to mitigate the symptoms. Eventually, you'll get better at it over time until those things don't give you very much anxiety--or none at all. A good therapist can be a wonderful guide to achieving this.

Especially when things are stressful, as you say your family life and school are right now, learning these techniques is invaluable.

5. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thearpy should do wonders for you. If you are willing to seek help you WILL get better

#5 Zam, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  6. kosmusurfer

kosmusurfer Guest

I use to feel exactly the same way when I used to have my attacks frequently (now I rarely have one)
    Basically I went to a therapist and also went on some medication for a while, but my therapist helped me the most.

I wasn't even able to call anywhere or go anywhere on my own (although I still don't like crowded places) but I just try to stay focus on my goal. For example, if I have to go the mall, I just think of going to the shop I need to go to, getting that certain thing I came for and go home. It works for me, but I highly recommend therapy.

7. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See your doctor. As someone who suffers with depression, general and social anxiety, i cannot stress this enough. Im going through a very rough patch right now and am reaching out for as much help as I can. You should too. As much as I hate taking medications sometimes they can really help, even if its something just to take a little of the edge off. If I never reached out when I did for the first time I would be dead. It can be rough. It can hurt. It can take a short while or a long while for anything to help but not taking action will only make it worse.

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i used to have some bad anxiety that kept me pretty quiet from other people. (i'm still quiet around new people) i think the best way i've dealt with it was with meditation. i've learned how to relax a little before anything. i do tense up a lot. Exams are pretty common to have anxiety or nerves for, so i wouldn't fret too much about it.

10. Akane

Oh, have been suffering from anxiety for a little more than 14 years now. It runs in my family and my Asperger's doesn't help it any.

Sounds like you need to at LEAST go to therapy, and if you need to go to a psychiatrist then I suggest you still go to therapy as well as going to a psychiatrist.

11. HTBO

Does your school offer any services? I have the same problem with social anxiety and I've tried to overcome it myself, but I can't. Last semester I asked my prof to call on me in class so that I could participate. I made an appointment at my school to see a Councillor to help with it.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, definitely get help. Things will only get worse if you don't. Your university should have a counseling center/service that is low-cost, and they will have a lot of experience with students going through the same situations.