1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't shake this depression

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So while things had been fairly peaceful at home, I can't shake this depression. I feel like they've been trying to keep me away from my boyfriend and keep me at home as much as possible by trying to force me to justify and get permission to leave and go see him, or anywhere for that matter.

My mom has decided to keep my brother, who has the maturity of a 5-year-old, home during the day instead of sending him to the babysitter, meaning I can't get away with having my boyfriend over. Not to mention they've treated me like a maid and a servant, and half the time act like I'm not even here.

I need to get away and I need to get away soon. I knew I never should have gone home, but I had no other option in the end because otherwise I'd be completely cut off and I'd probably end up having to drop out of school. I really don't want to go through that fight again, but I don't know what else to do.

A friend of mine said that the first order of business is making other arrangements for next summer, and that I should bring my car. Good luck with my folks approving of that, as not only is it in their name, but they seem to just be obstructionists. My dad didn't even want me to go off to school in the first place. But unfortunately, it seems to be a game I'm going to have to play for a few years yet.

2. Budweiser

You dad didn't want you to go to school? Really?

You're over 18, what sort of permission are you suppose to get from them? Are they black mailing you with "do what we want, or we won't pay for school" type thing?

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bingo. ^^^

It's ridiculous is what it is, and I feel trapped, but it's just what I have to do at this point.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to read that you are finding yourself in this situation. Reading through your post(s), I wonder, do you have a job? Have you tried getting some help on dealing with the situation?

5. RainDreamer

6. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What about some other relative who might be more sympathetic to your situation? You are 19. I don't know if letting your parents control you like this, is worth the convenience of living at home, materially speaking. I would rather put up with some material difficulties, but be away from them, maybe. Just an idea. I mean, what is more important: having access to a car, or your peace of mind and freedom?

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live on campus 100 miles away 8 months out of the year. However finances are their biggest control weapon. I mean I want to be able to have a job and be financially independent so they can't keep controlling me like this. I don't want to be here, I don't want to have to rely on them for a lot of things, and yet, I can only do so much.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! If finances are their biggest control weapon, and finances are something that will allow you to start becoming independent, why not then start having a part-time job, say on campus, or off campus during your studies? The money you earn, you could save, or use to pay part of your education costs.