1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationship advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SensesFailX, Jul 17, 2014.

1. SensesFailX

Hey everyone

I've been in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend for close to a year now, and it has been pretty amazing. Everything has gone very well as far as long distance relationships go and honestly I want to spend my life with him, which includes settling down and living together in about 3 years.

However, hes moving even further away, turning a 3 hour time change into 4 and 1/2. I'll get home from school at 3:30, where its already 8 for him, spend 2-4 hours with homework, working out and dinner, and by the time we get to talk it'll be at least midnight his time.

I really want this to work out, more than anything, but I've got to finish school and community college first, so how can we keep something like that going for 3 years? :help:

2. Nick07

Sure you can if you both want :slight_smile: You can still see each other occasionally.
    Weekends? Holidays? Even the couples who temporarily live in different countries can do it.

Another thing to consider though is that between 17 and 20 views and life wishes often change. So it may not be the distance what can take you apart.

3. OrangeRainbow

I suggest getting a webcam if you don't already have one. Just seeing their face can feel like you're there with them and make it easier. :slight_smile:

4. ilovebears

I was in the same boat, I felt the same way. I don't think there's really any way to find out if you two will work until you live together/in the same town. Visits are nothing at all like day-to-day life.
    The first visit from my then-boyfriend was perfect. The second was pretty good, but there were little things that bugged me, that I was okay with. However, when he eventually moved in, those little things became exactly what killed out relationship, when they were constant and everyday. That didn't exist online, where we were pretty much an amazing couple. We didn't realize that we're better off as long-distance friends that happen to share a lot in common.
    However, this is me. I hope it is not you. I sincerely wish you two the best, and hope it works out.

5. tulipinacup

It can work out depending on how you guys are committed. My ex-lover and I had a 8 hour difference so scheduling our talks together was pretty difficult but we managed to work things out. We both have tumblr and we message everyday and make sure it's not just something like a hey what's up i love you but a very long one. Skyping works too.

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will be hard Ill be honest, but if you really think he is the one for you, you can make it work. My girlfriend and I are in an LDR so I can understand the time change, there's a 5 hour time difference between us. I would suggest texting while you're doing homework or working out etc. later that night when you are not busy you could call each other, Skype/ FaceTime etc. aside from that you could always arrange a visit to see each other if you're off for a couple days from school and he's free. Worst case scenario when you both have a lot going on send him an email it will let him know you care even with how busy you are you took time out to write to him. I know one thing me and my gf do is we send stuff to each other through the mail. It's great to have something that I know she picked out just for me. So hopefully some of those ideas will help you.