Need help ASAP

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Typhoon, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've never been out in my life with friends at all, but I'm actually going out with a friend in two days for lunch... it's my first time and I am scared at the thought of embarrassing myself in front of him... honestly, I'm super self-aware when I am in close proximity to others.

Any tips or suggestions? And no, ''being myself'' isn't good enough, otherwise if I did that I'd probably be tripping up people in my confusion. To me it is kind of a big deal and I don't want it to go badly, since he's one of the very few friends I have.

Oh and what happens if we stop talking? Like we start having a conversation and suddenly silence takes over for too long? What should I wear? Would hugging him perhaps be too much (he knows I'm gay, and anyway we haven't seen each other in many months though we keep in touch through social media) as a way of greeting? Or perhaps a tap on the back be enough?

Anything else I should know about? :s I'm really looking forward to seeing him, but I don't want to remember that day for all the wrong reasons :frowning2:

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Silences are awkward but also easy to avoid if you have a mental list of things you can bring up in conversation if you think it is happening

You can always ask him anything topical

The main thing is to just let it flow as naturally as uou can. He will be doing the same so it should work out fine

Good luck

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd recommend you to wear something that you know will feel comfortable, you don't wanna wear anything too tight or what's not your style, right? I probably wouldn't worry much that you suddenly stop talking considering you haven't seen each other in months. I'm not sure about the 'welcoming' part much but I'd probably just say hey unless he does something else then just go with it. I'm sure you'll be fine. Enjoy.

4. Hyaline

Typical conversations have lulls in speech every few minutes. So if it stalls, no biggie, like others suggested, grab another topic.. If you are nervous, ask your friend questions about their life. (how is work/school/home/family/friends...etc)

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    God I sounded like an idiot up there. I'll try, but something tells me I'm going to do something stupid or at the very least look and sound stupid.

6. sonia98

I feel the same way! But remember that this is your friend, they probably already know most of your quirks, so don't worry about coming off as a bit strange or awkward. They already think you're pretty neat, going to lunch can only increase that. Just try to stay calm and if you feel comfortable enough explain that the situation isn't ordinary for you.

7. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I did that just now and at first he began to wonder whether I wanted to date him but I set his mind at rest.

We're still meeting tomorrow, but I just don't want him to think it was a waste of time.