1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21st Birthday and anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Teito, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Teito

It is my 21st birthday next month and I am dreading it. I suffer from social anxiety and only have 1 friend to go out with, and they won't be able to even go out because they haven't got enough money. I have the weekend off for my birthday and it is the first weekend that I haven't been working in ages. I would love to go to a bigger city, party the whole weekend, and experience a proper gay club, but I can't. I am just going to end up spending it in my house alone. I try to make friends when I go out, but I can't seem to do it, and it makes me wonder if there is something wrong with me. My family is quite out going, and they can go out, make friends and have a good night. It gets me so angry at myself because I can't do that. Does anyone have anything which can help my anxiety or help me make friends?

I know I am being a whiny bitch, but just needed to get it off my chest :slight_smile:

2. sme

sme

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't help, but I can sympathize! I haven't had more than just my boyfriend and maybe one friend at a time since I graduated high school in 2011. I am going to university next year, and I am so nervous! My roommate is this super sweet, outgoing (but not a party animal type) theater major with TONS of friends. I stayed at her house for the fourth of July, and she took me to a get together with her friends... I was so anxious the whole night! I didn't know to connect with anyone, and the only people I did connect with left long before we did. :/ I know it's hard, and I wish there was a trick to switching the anxiety off! I want to be able to be myself (whoever that is) and not worry about every single teeny moment!

3. someone5

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm the same way.. have the same problem.. i dont know how people make friends anymore regardless of anxiety though.. i'm outgoing to a point..more of a home body.. but that's just what i like to do..

maybe go out to a bar..pound a few drinks and sit there.. see if anyone comes up to you.. give it 30 minutes.. if you're uncomfortable, take off.. at least you can say you went to the bar for your birthday.. no one needs to know the details lol fake it till you make it.