1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling unattractive

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Otaku, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 19 , and i've never been asked out , sure , i live in a country where being out is nearly impossible , but still , i've been to some groups in fb and i saw many people posting about how they get asked out a lot , and my gay friend(my age) also gets asked out a lot and has had 3 serious relationships ... so i figured out that maybe i don't get asked out because i'm unattractive since there's kind of a stereotype about gay men being always beautifull ... and it's not just this that makes me feel ugly , but when i look at a mirror i feel ugly ...

So here's the main things that i hate about my body , and if you could give me some advices to deal with them :

1- My nose , this is the thing that i hate the most about myself , i have a big hook nose , and it just ruins my face

2- My hair , IT . IS . AWFULL ! everyone of my friends talks bad about my hair , it's very thin and it's faaaaar away from being silky , and it just gets easily messed up and goes staight up , like it's trying to fly away , i have no idea how to deal with it , i usually cancel going out with friends because of it .

3- my weight , i'm 188 cm (that's between 6'1 and 6'2) and i'm 80 kgs (around 175 lbs) and before you say that i'm not THAT fat , let me just tell you that half of it goes to my behind and my thighs , and i have a bit of it in my tummy , so basically that leaves my upper body sooooo thin , like i weight half of what i do , and my legs and a** huge like i weight double of what i do

so that's about what i hate the most about my body , i know that i can solve my "weight problem" by going to the gym and working on my upper body while trying to slim down my lower body but i don't know how to deal with my hair and nose .. HELP ! ;-;

ps : sorry about the bad english , it's my 3rd language

#1 Otaku, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. hoodie boy

I'm also nineteen, and I've never been asked out before. Just be patient. The best thing you can do for yourself is to build confidence. Don't let yourself become fixated on your physical appearance. Take pride in personal attributes and skills that you value. A confident person is just as attractive as a beautiful person.

I don't have any advice for your nose (mine is also a bit odd; it has a dent in the tip), but I can certainly help with your hair. Wear a hat. I wear one all the time, because my hair is a tangled, shoulder-length mess. Find a comfortable, soft hat that complements the color of your eyes or something (I don't know much about fashion). Don't let your hair control your social life.

As for your weight, I would suggest walking or running. Both will burn excess fat over time, especially from the lower body.

I hope this helps. Your English is great by the way.

3. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Hoodie Boy
    i actually don't look good in a hat , i tried wearing them but they're just not my thing , and i will concider running this summer , i'll ask some friends if they want to , because i'm kind of a lazy person , if i don't have anyone to push me to do things i'll just give up .

and about confidence , i only lack it when it comes to my looks , but i'm a pretty confident person when it comes to other things

4. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Otaku

I am terribly insecure about my looks as well, so we have that in common. About your hair, well a good hairdresser can work wonders, trust me. I kept trying one after another, finally found one who could deal with my fine hair and she not only gave me the right cut for it, she showed how to keep it looking good as well. Find a good hairdresser!

About your nose: I've got a fairly generously-sized nose as well, but I am damn well not going to change it, I am going to accept it. You could take this stance as well...but if that doesn't appeal, well then you could have it altered surgically, I mean I hear it's a pretty simple op...but I hope you don't change it, I hope you can just accept it and learn to love it! And by the way, how do you know there isn't someone out there who is going to love your hooked nose? Because, although we unusual looking folks might not like our own appearance, what I've found is that, not everyone else sees us in such a bad light as we ourselves do. Honestly, my unusual appearance did not stop me from having some quite attractive female lovers back when I was 'straight', and some 'offers' from a few quite attractive guys (which I always turned down, because I identified as straight back then - how stupid of me). I say all this only to make this point: you might not like the way you look, but you can't stop someone else from liking the way you look. And one day, you're going to meet someone who does. Even if you haven't been asked out yet, well give it time, you are still young. Work on building up your confidence, your belief in yourself. Go to the gym, if that helps. It's worth fighting for, actually. Defy the negative thoughts. Try to see your good points, and dwell on and rejoice in them, too; don't just focus on your 'flaws' all the time.

Hope something there was of assistance. If I've been 'too direct' let me know. But I sincerely am trying to help here, because I do know how you feel.

5. Otaku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Damien,

Thanks for replying , and about the plastic surgery , i'm never gonna do that , i don't like them in the first place , just like make-up , i think they make you look fake , and for the hairdresser , i just can't seem to find the right one , i've tried so many times asking people about good hairdressers , i always end up being butchered , and i agree with the rest though , i should love how i look , my bestfriend always tells me to but no matter how hard i try to convince myself , the moment i look at i mirror i lose all that self-confidence that i built up ... it's a hard thing to do especially when i always her laughed at my nose and hair by the people around me