1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with comments....

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by LifeAsWeKnowIt, Jul 25, 2014.

1. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well I don't really know which area or the forum this relates to the most so I said I'd just put it here.. It's also gonna be kinda rambley so apologies in advance! Anyway, I'm just wondering how you guys deal with certain types of comments. Basically, often I feel as though I'm totally comfortable and accepting of myself and ready to come out, but then a comment will be made or someone will say something and I'll end up seriously hating myself again. Even in general conversation, I get awkward when people make comments or say thugs about me seeming gay or definitely not being straight, because I'm still totally in the closet, even though I'd say it's pretty obvious I'm gay. I don't want to come out just yet, but I don't know how to react without making it obvious or freaking out (either in my own head or not) when comments are made about my sexuality. Anyway, sorry this is super rambley and idk if you guys can even understand what I'm trying to say but anyway!

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    to me it depends on the comment

3. Candace

In terms of people responding to me being gay? I don't think it really matters to me. It just says a lot about the person and basically gives me a reason as to why I shouldn't be friends with them nor talk to them anymore.

In terms of people in general conversation talking about gay people. I really get irked when some people (even some of my friends on campus) will use the word f****t in a conversation. I had a Brazilian friend (who knew I was gay) use that and I went ballistic on him and just told him how rude it was and how he wouldn't like it if I made fun of Brazil in a mean way (this was in Portuguese, mind you, so no one could get to his defense). Luckily, I am not friends with this individual anymore.

In general, I just like to correct people when they try to act like know-it-alls about LGBT related anything. If you don't like two guys kissing, then don't do it. If you don't like the idea of gay people adopting, then don't do it. If you don't like how "we queers" are shoving "our lifestyle and pride" in your face, then pack up your superfluous amount of heterosexuality (and self made double standards) and get as far away from me as possible. :bang:

4. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ignorant comments used to Piss me Off no end:tantrum: got mad every-time with out fail usually from my knob head cousins .anyway Ive learned to just laugh it off .One comment I gave back to my dad of all people was I've shagged men older than you:eek: I had to move quit fast after I said that comment .

5. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm quite a sensitive person, so I've had to learn to just...not take things personally. It's like...if people are joking about issues of sexuality, I just try to tune out and stop listening. Much easier said than done of course.