1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbians with kids?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sugarskull, Jul 27, 2014.

1. sugarskull

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Question mostly for female, but males you can chime in too:
    How much of a deal breaker is it if a chick has a kid?
    I am newly coming out, and have a 3 year old daughter. I'm 27...
    I can't just go out whenever, go on trips, ect ect...my kid will have to be part of any relationship I have.
    Is that a turn off? Does it all depend? Be as honest as you want. I'm just quite curious. :icon_wink

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think it depends on the person, i would like a guy with kids shows he is very caring and nurturing

3. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For me I don't think it'd be a deal breaker. It really depends on the person though.

4. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I enjoy kids and that alone wouldnt be a dealbreaker at all! However if I disagreed with major aspects of how a person was raising them or what was in the kids best interest (mainly like emotional abuse, spanking, no vaccines, disinterest in diet, healthn and wellbeing) it could become a problem.

My opinionm anyway c: I have known esbians that dont mind their girlfriends having kids and think of themselves as step moms and mom, I have known some that cant stand kids. Just be upfront and it should be fine!

5. thekillingmoon

To be honest, I don't like kids and don't want to have them myself, so someone who wants to have kids or has them already probably wouldn't be a suitable partner for me. Of course, I'm thinking long term here.

6. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

What might be a dealbreaker would be if someone tried to conceal the fact that they were a parent and then sprung it on me later on.

7. HTBO

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me either. I have given this some thought because I also have kids and wondered the same thing and whether I'd want to date someone who has kids. I think that if I am interested enough in someone that I will accept their kids the same as I would accept her because the kids are a part of this person. I think it's important when dating someone who has kids not to view them as competition because there is no competition, the kids should always come first. I guess it really depends on the person you are dating. The way I see it is we come together and if someone can't accept that, then she isn't the right person for me :slight_smile:

8. FortunateSally

I've wondered the same thing. I'm almost 30, have a toddler. It feels like coming out so late in life my options would already be greatly reduced and then add a kid from a heterosexual marriage. Sigh... I remain hopeful something will come around once I'm divorced and no longer officially attached.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To me it's a turn off if a woman has a kid , I don't like kids at least not right now ; I want to build a family with a woman but, i'm not sure if I want a kid or not . The trouble is with lesbians with kids or women with kids in general is, you have to get the kid to like you and on top of that you have to get her to like you too , if she likes you it doesn't matter because ,if the kid hates your guts it's over . It's a waste of time to me , I don't want to try that hard , sometimes too women will use you to take care of their kid or kids . I'm not any body's baby sitter , If I was in my late 30's maybe at this age no way . I want to enjoy my 20's , I don't want to be slowed down by some woman's kid and I'm not good with kids so I lose points with you even if I really like you so it's a deal breaker sorry .:dry:
    Too many bad odds stacked up against me .

#9 stocking, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  10. I turn 18 in a couple of months, so yeah it probably would be a deal breaker at this age lol. Later on, I don't think it would be. I feel awkward around kids, but if I really liked a woman, I'd at least try to give it a shot. It's not like you have to adopt the kid or anything.

11. Lipstick Leuger

I think it may be with younger lesbians, but for most other over 30s, not a deal breaker. After all, you pretty much expect a woman to have at least one kid if she is 30. I am 45 and have never had a single problem finding dates or partners because I have 3 kids. Just not a problem.

12. DancingGirl

It truly is going to depend on the person. I have actually had two different ladies ask me out with my children present. It was a bit disappointing since I couldn't accept either time, because I am still married. My crush was totally into the fact that I had children. Now her girlfriend hates children and wouldn't want anything to do with a gal that has them.
    I personally wouldn't mind, since I have my own. We could have our own queer Brady Bunch.