1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was homophobic before I realized I was gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SensesFailX, Jul 28, 2014.

1. SensesFailX

I haven't always known I was gay, and most of my life I thought I was straight. I remember when I was young thinking that gay people were "icky" and kind of being creeped out or grossed out whenever I heard of one or saw it in a movie. I remember I never "hated" gays, just thought they were weird. When the subject of marriage equality came up, I'd say "gays are fine, they just shouldn't be able to get married." As well as all that I would use gay as a negative adjective and say it along with my friends.

Then once I realized I liked men, I started looking back at my old journal entries when I'd say things like "thats so gay" or call people "faggots" and I feel so ashamed of myself. It's not like I knew I was gay and was trying to cover it up. I just simply felt that way. Now I feel so terrible that I used to say those things and wish I wouldn't have been so homophobic and perpetuating stereotypes. Of course these days I never say anything of the sort and I call people on it when they do, because it hurts me personally.

Were any of you guys accidentally homophobic before you came out/realized you were gay?

2. tulipinacup

Hey, What's best here is that you finally realised how offensive the things you said not just because it has also affected you personally but to other people as well.

I may have been a bit repressive during my denial stage before but this was also for me to comment along with my "frends"

3. Clay

Yeah that's pretty normal. Sometimes it happens after people realise they like the same-sex, it's part of the anger phase.

4. Tetra

Yeah, I used to do this too. I never really thought much about my orientation, but I just knew I couldn't be gay because it was internalized within me that it was "wrong".

My younger brother has recently begun using "gay" as an insult, when talking about people/things he doesn't like. I had to have a talk with him about it, showing him how hurtful it is to people when he says things like that. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, and hopefully people just stop using it as an insult...

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be homophobic before I even questioned being gay. It caused me issues when I started to find guys attractive, so in a way I've paid my penance.

I can somewhat chalk it up to my environment though. "gay" and "faggot" were not insults only some people used; they were universal. There was no such thing as acceptance of gays. I knew no gay people and thought of them as sissy (in the case of guys or uncouth in the case of girls) sexual deviants. Wow, did I eat my words in the end though XD. Now I'm that deviant who has traces of fabulousness from time to time.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ditto, argentwing. I was quite similar and for the same reasons. :frowning2:

7. Polterpup

I was never homophobic...but I did misuse the word "gay" and I did call people "faggots". I didn't know I was hurting anyone...but, hey. You realized your mistake so you shouldn't feel bad about it.

8. justme94

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes, this is me in a nutshell. I was the homophobic one. I made it obvious that I felt being with the same sex was wrong on every single level possible. But throughout all that I was in love with a girl. I think it was my way of beating myself up over it.

And I wouldn't feel bad - I think everyone (homosexual or not), go through a stage of "oh my god what are they doing?!?!" When they first realise women&women...or men&men CAN be together. I also wouldn't feel too bad about the word gay or faggot. Its a word that gets thrown around A LOT. People don't usually think about it before they say it - or the consequences of saying it, especially if to the wrong people. You won't be human if you didn't make mistakes.

9. mangotree

Yeah, denial and internalised homophobia often go hand in hand.

10. Fimo

Out Status:
    All but family
    My dad always used to talk badly about gays, so as he was my "model" I started to think like him ... for me gays and lesbians were not ok at all. The only one I accepted was my cousin, but only because I thought she would "turn back straight" someday !
    At a point I was even proud to be "homophobic" ...
    But that was the asshole 12-years-old me, who soon realized she was wrong when she started openning her mind ! It might seem stupid, but it wasn't until I watched Glee that I realized LGBTs were ok. Then I realized that I was gay :slight_smile:
    I'm quite ashamed of the person I was back then.