1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving Out & Moving On

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by squally89, Jul 28, 2014.

1. squally89

Hello Friends,

I want to create this thread to document, share and give support to those who are moving out or in the process of moving out for whatever reason they have. Moving out is one of life's most difficult challenges/stressful time to go through and I want this thread to be a place where they can call a second home.

If you already moved out, this can be a place where you share your experience living on your own for the very first time (And tips on how to effectively shop at IKEA! Seriously!)

The truth is I am going through the process of moving out of my parent's place and it has been a crazy ride and I am not even out yet.

I signed my lease in May - That feeling was...unbelievable. I felt like an independent person for the very first time in my life. Living under my mother's roof and by her rules, even though I pay her full rent like a tenant was taxing. It was time, so I told her a week afterwards I was moving out.

At the beginning my mother was not happy. She was simply losing income and not to mention her youngest son (family of 4 kids). She would guilt me, anger me, and make me feel as if my decision was wrong. I fought back and put her in her place. And then after a few weeks later things calmed down. I was too busy to care with two jobs and working 60+ hour weeks for the last 11 weeks. And then last week my sister told me she has rented out my room.

Yes room was rented out to some stranger on July 20, even though I'm moving on August 1. My mother seized the opportunity to cash in the last 20 days of rent from me and we had another fiery spat at one another. "Do you treat me like your son or your tenant?" I shouted at her as she stormed off. I felt so alone at that point as if no cared about me, but I didn't have the time to feel sorry for myself. I had work - everyday. The stress of moving, family and work caught up to me and eventually I broke down - in front of my manager (I like to believe we are close enough).

A good cry was what I needed and it was refreshing to know I am not...a machine.

July 28, T-minus 4 days until the big move. IKEA date tomorrow. Buying a bed and everything in my for the first time. Wish me luck guys and gals.

And please share your experience (!)

2. Hyaline

It might be your mother being reactive to you moving out. It might have been a bit of spite. Or it could simply be that she needed the money.

My mom is a bit controlling at times. I could never live with her again. I love her dearly though. Truth is, weh nI lived at home I was very independent. I was gone for a weekend and came home and she was upset because I hadn't been home (I was 21 at the time). Basically she told me I had a few months to move out and I did...

It was the best thing I could have done. All the arguing stopped and we could have a relationship like adults. It took a few months. But over time once you get settled you'll find that animosity float away. Try not to dwell on it. it is poisonous and it serves no useful purpose but to drive a wedge between you.

give it time.... it does get better....

3. squally89

It's officially August 1 WEEEEE!

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god, good luck!! I so wish I could move out!!! I've been trying to do it for so long! My stepmom does the same thing with trying to make me feel guilty. I hope all goes well and good luck again!!