1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing With The Past

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by twospiritlycan, Jul 30, 2014.

1. I'm having a bit of a problem here. It's usually a common thing that people have bad moments in their lives, but how would someone deal with reliving memories associated with those awful moments.
    I've been trying to "deal with it" the best way I could, but I just seem to can't handle it properly. There was a point back in June where I did well with being happy. Now I just seemes to fall back into remembering all these bad things people said to me a long time ago, and I can't seem to find a way to let it go.
    I want to be happy like I was back in June.

2. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just to state the obvious, it sounds like you have had some difficulties dealing with some things recently that you can't let go of. Happiness is a state of mind not a state of being. Disruption to your peace of mind caused by repeated negative visions could be viewed as a warning. Like an air raid siren telling you to take cover, the visions are telling you to take some kind of action to hopefully better deal with the bad events should something similar happen again. Since this is a recent development you might be classified as having acute anxiety disorder. This is very common and in the vast majority of cases it passes on its own within three months. But if the bad events continue or if you continue to be troubled by them beyond three months, you might eventually develop PTSD which is a serious condition that needs medical attention. But for now just try and relax, realize this too will pass, and give yourself some time to readjust. And be sure and avoid a repeat of those bad events. If you want to take more definitive action now, consider seeing a therapist and/or ask your doctor about-anti anxiety medications. Good luck, I hope you feel better.

3. YaraNunchuck

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I so empathise. I don't have any answers, because I seem to suffer from a similar thing, except in my case it's more tinged with regret. But we both must look forward. Looking to the past ties our hands as to the future, and before we know it, we've already caused more problems for ourselves.

4. returningflame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The problem with me (and i know exactly how you feel) is when i become unproductive or discouraged, i either become lazy obviously, or i get really introspective and ruin my mood by reliving things i should better leave alone. The best thing to do is stay occupied. Hang out with friends, live life, do life and feel it. Do whatever makes you comfortable and in time, you will overcome the amount of pain and effect it has on your psyche.