1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of purpose, being an adult is depressing me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by midwestgirl89, Jul 31, 2014.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm afraid of getting depressed again.

My age, my job status, and my "purpose in life" trigger me a lot. I'm 25 and I've never had a job related to my degree. I've never had my own apartment. I've never even done my own taxes.

I have no idea what I'm doing in life. I don't know what I want to be when I "grow up" even though I'm already well into being an adult.

:tears::tears: I don't know if I can describe how terrible I feel about myself. I feel worthless. 25 and still nothing of importance.

I spent 2 years in a major depression and I'm finally doing better.....

but I'm starting to feel really insecure again. :confused:

Does anyone have advice or has anyone been through the after-college period?

2. Budweiser

Raptitude.com – Getting Better at Being Human

I'm just about to enter college. I am going for an associate of science and going to major in either geology or environmental science, so I'm hoping to have good job prospects. But in any life situation, I find these simple life principles to be helpful.

3. MrPotato

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    get help... i mean it.

I go through that "phase" very often as well. Literally, nothing makes me happy until I start making money. If I stop working (having a job)... I will feel useless and pathetic.

maybe go talk to career advisors? polish your resume and send that sh*t to outer space if you have to ^.^ I'll tell ya one thing that's for sure.... most people don't do what they "love to do"... unfortunately a LOT of us do not know what our passion is.

I mean, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to sing... lollolol but the chances of me becoming a recording artist are very slim. and tbh, I tend to be more of a realist. I go where the money is... granted, I'm not gonna go to a field that I find boring or uninteresting... like accounting (no shade to the accountants on the forum) it's just not something I'd be happy with even if I made lots of money from it.

Go apply to all the places you can and call your friends and be that pimple in the butt until you land yourself that job with great benefits and high pay :grin:

I wish you the best of luck!!!!!! GO OUT AND CONQUER!!!!!!!!!

also, don't feel like you're unimportant. Everyone has worth... you're just going through a rough patch, but I am sure you can overcome it. keep trying until you succeed :grin:

#3 MrPotato, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  4. hip2hop

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello,

I understand what you are going through I went through a similar state when I was your age. What I always found was interesting is that life is weird, there is no right way to live it and there are going to be times when we look at it and think wow I suck LOL but if we take it one day at a time, learn how to roll with the punches, and if you have the willingness to learn then your self confidence and self worth will get a good boost.

If you want to do your taxes on your own you can always learn how to do them :slight_smile: as far as finding a job in your field polish off your resume and sent it out, like Mr. Potato, has suggested. Then once you score it, save that money like a squirrel and rent an apartment of your own. Just remember to take it one step at a time and you will be fine :grin: