1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever moved away from family and friends? How to not feel so lonely.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JR08, Aug 3, 2014.

1. JR08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So this last Friday I moved 12 hours away from my family and all of my friends to go to grad school. Ever since then I have been consumed with sadness/grief over the fact that I am not going to see any of them until Thanksgiving. I have always had a really good relationship with my parents. Originally I moved because i lived in a small town that is not LGBT friendly at all, and looking down the road 10 years from now i want to be married and have kids. This would not at all be possible in my hometown, so moving to a bigger city is a a necessity. I realize that I will eventually make new friends, and in the long run this is the right thing to do for my life. But right now it really sucks... I have no friends, and no one to talk to and the only thing I want to do is pack all my stuff up and move back tomorrow. Has anyone ever started over in a new city that would have advice for feeling better? I have already broken down crying multiple times and have more then 3 weeks before school starts and nothing to do until then. All I have done since I moved in is sit in my room. I am naturally a fairly introverted person until you get to know me, so walking up to someone I don't know scares the crap out of me.

2. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I first moved away from home I just found that it takes a little time. It's a bit of a shock to the system at first so the loneliness can be a bit overwhelming, but after a few weeks you sort of just get used to it. I hope that you will, anyway. Just hang in there, it will get better... :slight_smile:

Can you maybe Skype your family and friends?

Maybe also think about getting involved with some kind of group, like a sport or hobby. It's a good way of meeting people with similar interests and often people go out of their way to extend the hand of friendship to newbies.

3. Really

Grad school? Does that mean you're at a university? Must be loads to do on campus. Visit the student union and check notice boards to see what's going on. Hang around the phys Ed buildings or pool and watch practices. Is there a theatre dept? Are they doing any shows?

I was at university for far too long and didn't take advantage of almost anything that was going on - even though there were mandatory dues that I paid into!

I would start there if I were you.

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try connecting with the other new grad students. They will be invaluable not just for classes but also as a good support network, not to mention sharing similar interests. You might even make a facebook group to coordinate things.

However, you should also expand your social network outside of grad school. I agree with using Skype for family/friends. It's very helpful. Go out for some entertainment like a concert or a show.

5. CongoColorado

Maybe get a nice pet that can be with you when you're down. Dogs are a man's best friend.

6. Jwis

I moved away, to the same area as well (North Central WI) For school too.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. It sucked for a while for me. But I soon enough made friends, and now I have formed lasting friendships and relationships with lots of different people.

Like has been said get involved on campus, there is always lot's to do.

7. mangotree

In my early 20s, I moved to another country on my own.
    It was all very exciting at the start, but about 6 weeks in - I started to feel homesick and lonely.

It then took about 3 months to really settle in.

During those 3 months, I spent a fair bit of time online - chatting to people in the area.
    Went on a few dates and to a few bars as well, just to see what would happen.

I also purposely went and spent some time in a backpacker hostel - where I could meet fellow travellers / out of towners.

I guess just KNOWING that the difficult time would pass (getting over the hump so to speak) really helped me to make the most of my time even though I wasn't feeling that great.

Starting a new life is pretty exciting.
    Must say I'm a little bit envious.
    Not having your past hanging over your head like an old dead goose.
    There's nothing holding you back, you're free.
    Every interraction you have will be with someone who sees you as you are now, not who you used to be.

If you don't feel like meeting new people just yet, maybe just try to get stuck into a new TV series or video game or something I guess. Eventually you'll get bored and your survival instincts will kick in and you won't be able to stop yourself from heading out and being a bit more social.

Peace! (*hug*)

8. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you need to get out of you room! :dry: Staying in there will definitely make you depressed as hell. Make a commitment to not go back there until one hour before bedtime most nights. You don't have to go out socializing, just be somewhere else.

I do a lot of traveling and am in you situation a lot. What I typically do is go to the mall, museum, park... someplace public. Then I go out to dinner and maybe stop at a coffee shop or bookstore afterward. Then I head out to a gay bar or nightclub. I find a spot at the bar and just sit and people watch. No need to worry about looking dumb or lonely, almost no one will notice you. Unless you are hot. :slight_smile: Tip the bartender well and he'll give you the scoop on people. It's fun, give it a try.

9. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

You get used to the loneliness. But do try to join clubs or networks and meet people :>

10. JR08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I guess the thing I am most upset about is the fact that I have always been super close with my family, and I always saw myself being a fixture in my nieces and nephews lives, as well as my parents being a fixture in my children's lives. Now I am realizing that this is probably not likely if i am living 12+ hours away. The grad program I am in will only license me to practice in the state I am going to school in now (Ohio), so if i complete the two years here I am likely to stay here for the majority of my life. Although there is a chance I could transfer to school closer to home at semester break if I am still feeling the way I am now. I realize I need to give it more time before I make any rash decisions, but i don't think the underlying cause of wanting my family to be a part of my life and my kids lives will change much over time.

Thanks for all of the advice that has been given so far, I am sure it will slowly get better, or manageable at least!