1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chasing Dreams or Financial Stability?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by twospiritlycan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Is it bad to try and dream and do things about making that dream real? I was told that I can either have financial stability or chase my dream, but I can't have both. Is that true?

I tried holding a few jobs over the past year, but I usually end up quiting. Eventually, I started just playing guitar and making paintings in my off time. Now, I feel confident that this may be what I want, but I have no money to do it on my own. It feels like Half of me wants me to get a job again so I can be secure about everything, but another half of me tells me that I won't be free to do anything. I want to travel, make music, make films, write, and make paintings. It's the only things that interests me now.

I never felt like myself going to work every day and doing nothing whenever I'm off when I had a job.

2. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can have both, but it's not going to be easy. You need to work at a job with steady income to help support your dream and yourself. Whenever you are off work you can paint or play music and try to get your name out so people know who you are.

3. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

It is very possible to do both! If is also possible to just do the arts thing for a few years while holding a PT job then, if the instability isnt for you, go back to a FT career. This will require frugality and a lot of drive and sacrificing but is technically doable.

4. AKTodd

You can have both, but it can require some creativity, drive, and patience.

Most (perhaps even all) of the things you list as wanting to do can be done while holding down a full time job. Mainly it would require you to manage your time and money well and get into a work situation that lets you have a reasonable amount of work/life balance and some decent amount of vacation.

If you are speaking in terms of actually making a living doing these things, it is still doable but harder to quantify since it gets into issues of what degree of talent you have and what the vagaries of the market are at the time you start getting your work out there.

Todd

5. Pax

Pax

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been struggling with this question myself. I started off my working life by trying the financial security route. I've now realised that it's pointless having money if you're not actually happy. So, I'm currently making a transition into doing what I love - chasing my dreams - instead. So ask me again in a year or so...

6. Jenna0780

It's absolutely possible! You just have to have the ambition. We've all got different ideas of what "success" is, and what "financial stability" means. As long as your goals are attainable, and as long as you've got the will-power to go after it, you will get there. I don't mean to sound like one of those seminar speakers, but you get the idea. The problem that a lot of people usually run into is wanting more than what can be attained with little to no effort. Just because someone wants an extravagant house and thousands of acres of land and three half-million-dollar cars doesn't mean they're going to get it - they have to put in the work.

7. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Tell me about it.

I'm so fed up with my ordinary daily office job, I would like to quit as of this moment and start... something I really love. I know exactly what, but I can't reach it from where I stand right now.

Do what I really want to.
    Without being utterly fucked on the financial side.... that's the issue.

I find it very sad that our society is made this way... putting people into a huge machine like little gears and cogs. Not letting them roam free and listening to their souls like humans are supposed to live.

8. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with chasing your dreams. Do what makes you happy. It requires some creative thinking and really hard work to figure out how to do what you love and gain financial stability, but if you keep at it you can find balance in life of both finances and self fulfillment.

9. Budweiser

10. This is some good input :slight_smile:

11. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I would love to just disappear and fulfill my dreams. Impossible.
    So i would say First financial stability and then dreams.