1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attracting loonies

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BloodyRose3000, Aug 4, 2014.

1. BloodyRose3000

...seems to be the only type of people I can attract. I mean ape shit insane people who unfold and blackmail you or become completely obsessed with you or tell you about how aliens are trying to take over the world now as we speak and that 9/11 was created by the government. How on earth to people actually make genuine friends? Friends whom you don't have to block (and end up finding where you live somehow online and stalking you), because I feel defeated... and old... and like I've been saying the same thing for too many yeas (minus the occurrences of additional loonies). I don't get it.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2014 at 04:04 AM ----------

Lets also not forget the occasional 40 year old who stops you in a bookstore randomly and tells you that he'd love to see your feet...

#1 BloodyRose3000, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. birdking

it could be that you just haven't had the best of luck with new people so far! Don't be discouraged, there are great people out there (even if they're hard to find)

maybe it has something to do with the places you frequent. Try going to a place where people are likely to have similar interests as you (for example if you like music, maybe go to a CD store or if you like to read, go to a library) and try to start a conversation. Sometimes the places you go determine the types of people you'll meet. I mean, not to sound cynical, but I highly doubt you'll find any cool people while grocery shopping.

Also, it would help to have a sort of "screening process" for new friends. You should spend a good amount of time with someone before sharing personal information with them, so they don't use it to their advantage if it turns out they have creepy intentions.

Don't feel bad about the people you "attract," because chances are the problem is not on your end. hope I helped at least a little, and good luck!

3. wardrobeescaper

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to this one, I've met a few crazy people in my time and my fair share of straight guy crushes too..

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Canada, a "loonie" is the nickname we give our one-dollar coins (on account of the picture of a loon on the coin)...so we Canadians are into attracting as many loonies as possible...

Jokes aside, it may seem as if you've got "clowns to the right of you, jokers on the left" but keep trying, and yes, select the places you meet people where you are likely to find those most like you, nothing guaranteed, of course, but I can guarantee that if you give up, there won't be much chance of meeting anyone.

5. BloodyRose3000

I don't even tell people my last name, in the odd chance that they'll become obsessed, flip out, and someone through some kind of technological divination find out everything about me and do, who knows what LOL.

It's easy to say "go to places and talk," but how the hell do people talk! In NY, if you just walk up to someone randomly and start talking, they'll think you're crazy.

I did go to this cool poetry slam place once, andI made a close friend there... who ened up in a mental ward (literally) LOL.

More like the best of luck in life LMAO ;p!!!!

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2014 at 12:39 PM ----------

You mean they're not cuter little cartoon characters? Cuz that, as amatter of fact, is what I've been talking about this whole time. Gotta watch out of that Bugs Bunny; he's an ass pincher.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2014 at 12:40 PM ----------

And behind you, a turned on and sexually confused George W Bush

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2014 at 12:46 PM ----------

You know what I hate? Those awkward kind of "mixers", like those LGBT meetings. I've been to 2 of them before, and I've always found someone to talk to separate from others, but I hate putting myself into those high stress awkward situations. it's fucking draining! And even if I'm in the middle of talking to someone, I always feel reduced to some awkward kid who wants to run and hide in a corner. Apart from things like that, I have no idea how people just magically cross eyes and start talking; even more, how they manage to make plans to continue talking in the future.

---------- Post added 4th Aug 2014 at 01:00 PM ----------

I'm not so sure about that. You know what Freud said "there are no accidents." The problem I used to have (or so I've been told) is that I was too accepting, and provided a warm environment that encouraged people to talk about whatever they wanted to. And so apparently crazy people who would have been repelled by others became attached to me. So (to strangers) I stopped doing that, and started using wit to sardonically insult comments that seemed off to me, which does help discourage crazy talk, to some extent; or at least helps set up an environment where people won't imprint themselves on you as much, in a short time. But really, it's so annoying when, after talking to someone for a week whom you thought were cool, they start to break down and show their crazy. Wtf! I don't have any gay friends; who will I randomly talk to about penises now LMAO!