1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Military and gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by SamTheMan, Aug 5, 2014.

1. SamTheMan

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello.

I'm enlisting in the US Army (Active Duty) and was wondering what it's like being out in the military, and out in Basic Training.

I should be going to Basic in January or February of 2015. I'm gay, play college baseball, and am a very "str8-acting" guy. I'm scared to go to basic and have someone find out that I am gay, and potentially be harassed for it.

If there is anyone on here who is gay/bi, and has gone through basic since DADT was repealed, I would love to know how it was for you.

2. Hyaline

I went through while DADT was still in effect.. So I can't really comment on the more modern Army. I will say this. My time in the military was so stressful that the topic of my sexuality never came up. I never told anyone until after I was home and had returned to Civ life. My fellow soldiers that know now don't care. We bonded because of the experience we all went through. It's been amazing to see such great people be so accepting. But keep in mind that no everyone will be.

I guess my advice is keep it to yourself until you feel connected with the people around you enough to want to share that personal bit of info with them. Odds are, there will be some accepting and some that won't be. The trick is to make sure you are safe with people around you that value your friendship. Those are your true brothers in arms.

Oddly enough I was at Ft Jackson when they went from single sexed platoons to co-ed platoons. It was an interesting time to be in the military. I can tell you that both trips through basic were very different. And both groups were hugely different. (I fell down and broke my elbow the 2nd week of basic and had to go through twice)..

3. SamTheMan

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks man.

I figured that's what someone would say. It'll be an interesting experience I'm sure.

4. Hyaline

I would say it would be like telling a room full of strangers. Modern or DADT Army. It is unlikely you'd walk in and announce it. So, when the moment seems appropriate and you feel like the people around you are your brothers (and you will in a way you've never experienced before), then it might be time to share it.

BASIC seems to last forever, but goes by in a flash, not sure of your MOS, but you might wait till you have more freedom. The guys I went to BASIC with I've all but pretty much lost touch with. The guys from AIT were the ones I still talk to. (AIT was 5 months vs BASIC).. So it might not be that big a deal.

Good luck and good training! And thank you for committing your heart, time and life to our wonderful country!

5. SamTheMan

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks man, it's greatly appreciated.

I passed my ASVAB (AFQT) and got a 65 on it, not bad, but not the best either.

I was one of 3 that passed out of 8 total, and I passed with the highest score out of them all.

6. Ada M7

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wasn't military, my brother was. He had some openly gay soldiers and some closeted ones under his command. I can tell you some funny stories and in general how things were, but not much more.

My brother and I spent hours talking about his deployments (both while in Iraq and at home). As well as his different schools and other longer training events. I don't know your MOS, but he was enlisted Army Airborne Infantry.