1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cry easily

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Beware of Drake, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Beware of Drake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have noticed over the last year or so I have cried very easily, not a lot but very easily.
    I'm 13 and I just cry very easily, I dont know why because I've been depressed and self harmed but never cried during this period.
    My dad has also recently started teasing me for it, for example if we are arguing and I start crying he laughs and says something like this: Are you really gonna cry? Or: Are you crying? Seriously?
    This has happened about 4 times and everytime I've just had to suck it up and stop crying.
    I read and hear about people "crying out" like crying until it feels better but crying has never helped me feel better in any way.
    And crying around friends or family never leads to anything good so I try to never cry around people and I rarely cry while alone.
    Can this have anything to do with why I cry so easily, or is there any other explanation?
    Please reply.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What things to you cry over - that would be a clue?

Well its good to cry on the whole.
    To not cry at anything is pretty sad in itself..

x

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 12:10 AM ----------

ps: I went to Disneyworld .. it was FAB!!

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe. I have not cried from distress in practically forever*, but I don't feel emotionally suppressed or anything like that. Most of the time it's because I feel my head is stronger than my heart, which can be a blessing and a curse. I don't think it's really sad though.

OP, Your dad is in between right and wrong too. Obviously you can't help crying, otherwise you wouldn't do it in his presence. He shouldn't give you crap about it because, well, it's what people do if they are overwhelmed.

On the other hand, aside from making you feel better afterward for the chemical release, it doesn't really solve whatever the problem is either. I can't explain why it happens (except maybe "everyone's different" and you are readily struck by things) but I can say that you shouldn't be ashamed of it. Embrace it, let it out, and make the situation right. :slight_smile:

*Raw power in the form of surpassing kindness, stunning music, etc. notwithstanding. I am a lover of beautiful things :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Beware of Drake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be alot of different stuff, that something has happened, that something is going wrong or just the fact that someone is yelling at me, the lst one is really unusual though.
    P.S what you said about not crying, how is that sad? I just dont cry in some situations for example when I was self harming, it just felt pointless to cry.
    ---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 02:16 AM ----------

Thanks, that really helped and you made some valid points, I really appreciate the reply :slight_smile:

#4 Beware of Drake, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome. I don't like being yelled at either though. It's a little scary to see someone who's mostly calm totally freak out directly at you o.0

6. Beware of Drake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that is pretty scary OvO

7. Najlen

I went through a phase around the same age as you when I would sometimes just be having a one on one conversation (usually about something I cared or was passionate about) and I would just randomly start crying. It would also happen when I would argue with someone, like in your situation. I don't know why, but eventually it just stopped happening. Maybe the same thing will happen for you.

8. Beware of Drake

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope so, when did it stop for you?
    Like did it take a year or a month or what?

9. DDawg92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went through the same stage as you're going through, anytime something very minor would happen I would just start bawling. It's not your fault at all and you're not alone. For me it took a good year and a half for it stop, but more likely than not your recovery time if you want to call it that will vary from mine. Just don't rush it & remember that sometimes it's better to just let it all out.

10. Candace

I cry sometimes. I usually just lack energy and don't feel motivated to do anything productive when I'm depressed. To improve my mood, I watch something enjoyable and funny, like the Simpsons or Phineas and Ferb. :slight_smile:

11. Blossom85

I honestly know the feeling.. It is natural.. I am more sensitive and emotional to a lot of things and I cry very easily, at the drop of a hat.. And I also sometimes get teased for it by my sister.. Try not to stress or be embarrassed about it. It just shows you are more emotional then someone else, doesn't mean it isn't a natural instinct for some people to fall into. I think sometimes a good cry can really make you feel better.. I try to limit it to maybe about 15 mins if I really need to, but I also try to distract myself from my emotions by doing something else.. Writing, reading, watching tv.

12. black-cat

I imagine it is just a mix of things going on in your life, then an argument/doing something wrong, etc pushes you over the edge, and you cry.

There is this theory when it comes to depression/anixety/etc that your everyday stress is like water in a teacup- it fills it almost to the very brink of that teacup- family issues, friends, sexuality, self harm, general depression, exams etc etc - but then when something very small happens, like an argument, you fall apart as it adds that little bit of water to the teacup, which then spills out.

Can you tell that my mum is a therapist? :wink: LOL. I just find this metaphor helps. I get it too, on and off for a couple of years. Mostly off, thank god.

13. Dakeli27

I don't cry easily, but once I get a little nervous, I stutter like hell. People tease me about that, too, and occasionally go out of their way to make me nervous.

14. BreezyB

I went through that phase too bad would cry over everything. Like one time my brother woke me up to eat by slapping me in the face it didn't hurt whatsoever but i cried the entire dinner. If anything went wrong in the slightest id just start crying. But i noticed that once that phase ended i started getting angry about things instead.

15. Yuki

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I totally understand what you're going through. I'm a very emotional person and my mood can quickly swing from happiness/excitement to sadness. No, I don't have bipolar. It's just that whenever I reflect on my life or life in general, I experience different emotions, mostly sadness. I got over my depression after coming out, but it has a lingering effect on me. I'm still slightly pessimistic and very emotional. Hopefully, this is just a temporary thing for those who are currently experiencing it and will change later on in our lives.

16. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you seeing a counselor or therapist? Your crying is likely a response to a lot of stress.