1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know what I'm doing with my life

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Awoken, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Awoken

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm at a tipping point. I'm 18, so it's about time I got a move on deciding what I want to do in life, but I can't for the life of me think of anything I want to do that is realistic and plausible. The thought of doing an average job really makes me scared. It isn't because I'm lazy, I actually have a job in a shop already. I just can't see myself being able to cope with a normal job mentally for an extended period of time. But also, I don't want a job that I'm going to have to work really hard at to help someone else achieve their goals. I want to do my own thing, but all of my interests don't go hand in hand with steady income careers. For example, I like gaming and playing instruments. I'm in a band, but yet again can't pursue that as a steady career. Basically, I need something that is my own, but isn't mind numbing.

Now on to the other problem. I'm scared to go and grab opportunities. I don't know why but recently I've lost all of my drive and confidence. It scares the hell out of me that I need to do things for myself, but at the same time I want and need to do my own thing. I want to be able to go and do something worth while, but I'm held back by fear. I asked my family for help getting a different job, but they just think I'm too lazy to go and look and refuse to help. In actual fact I'm crapping myself, and just need their support.

The only thing I've been able to think of that I want to do is own a shop of my own. Most likely an accessory shop, don't ask me why because I don't have a clue. Thing is, I'm that self conscious and lacking in confidence that I can't even tell my family that's what I want to do. I don't know why, but I just feel like they'll judge me in a negative way. Don't get me wrong, my family are lovely, and really accepting. I have no idea why I feel this way. Please don't tell me to talk to them because I literally can't do it. just tell me what the hell I can do by myself to start working through the issues. And if anyone owns a business, perhaps give me some pointers towards starting my own? (I'm clueless)

I know it's a bit of an essay, and it isn't really much of a question, but I needed to post it. I do want your opinions on what I could do, just please keep away from the "talk about it" thing. Tell me what I can do personally to start changing things for myself.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Reading through your post, I wonder, what other interests do you have, aside from gaming and playing instruments?

If you feel that self-employment/having your own business would be a good path to be on, you will need to start determining your interests (and passions) that will allow you to develop the ideas that you need in order to start thinking about what do you want your business to be about. What are your business' vision and mission? Who, and what, is your target market? What are you hoping to be selling or offering?

Our confidence in ourselves, and thus our ability to create and pursue realistic goals, can take a hit, if we are not aware of what drives us day in day out. It sounds like that you need to have some goals laid out, so to be able to grab opportunities. If you were asked, "what would get you out of bed in the morning at 6:00am, every single day" what would your answer be? (Give it some thought.) :slight_smile:

One thing that might be worthwhile for you to do, is to complete an aptitude as well as a skills test, that will help you to open a window into what you could potentially be good at, and interested in.

Looking at your age, what are your plans for further education? Are you planning on completing a post-secondary degree? Further education, could also give you some more ideas as to what you could be interested in. It might be worthwhile to have a browse through the programs at different post-secondary institutions and see if there is something that will grab your attention.

3. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't let your interests cloud your mind. Going to college is where find out new Interests and learn new things. You may sometimes feel like you life is but shatters then that's where your gaming and instrument playing come in. Don't believe me look, if your having a bad day pop in a game and play your problems away. Or your instrument, it's a great way to express your feelings through music. And remember not all goals are meant to reached. If you can make a goal get it next time but strive more to get it this time. That's all for me, if you need something answered ask away.

-the king

4. Awoken

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You both made very valid points. You've given me a load of things to think about, and that's what I needed. I'm gonna take a bit of time to think on it and fingers crossed I can start setting myself some realistic goals. thanks for the help :slight_smile:

5. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's good to here I'll give you a quote my music teacher gave me, and good luck

"Success is driven by those who work"

-Mr.Jackson