1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Losing Faith

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Aug 7, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

I know I should stop reading these things if it deppresses me, but it seems like the religious right-wingers are spreading more and more hate and it is really costly. It doesn't seem like Muslims will ever come round to gay people either. I know this doesn't affect me at all, but it seems like the right-wingers have more of a platform, and we don't have many straight allies either, and it saddens me. Does anyone else feel this way?

2. SeaSalt

I was exactly like you, I would watch those awful videos from Russia and they made me so angry I turned to self harm. Luckily I got over that phase and I realized something... they are winning battles but we are winning the war. Only last year gay marriage became legal in this great country of ours not to mention the philosophical Powerhouses of reason we have on our side such as Stephen Fry who are swaying more and more people to our cause. We are building up more and more momentum and remember that people like me and you who live in one of the most open minded countries in the world have to stay strong for the people who are not so fortunate, for those people who can be tortured or executed for who they love!

so fall in lad behind the drum. With colours blazing like the sun
    Along the road to come what may - Over the hills and far away

as long as there is a good cause to fight there will be people willing to break the norm and fight for it!

This isn't Game of Thrones. Good Will Win This Time!

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2014 at 04:05 PM ----------

and If that Inspiring little speech didn't work try this one Greatest Speech Ever Made Charlie Chaplin The Great Dictator W/Time Inception Full HD Best Version - YouTube

3. Hyaline

It is tough watching the news and reading about all the bad things that happen in this world. But, like OmmitedFlunky said, there are plenty of really great things that are happening.

Your participation here on EC, is one such thing. if someone who is struggling reads a post you wrote and finds inspiration in it, then you've won one more heart... And those little battles win wars.

If you want to see what happens when people reach out, check out Jonah Mowry on youtube and read what just one boy did. And he is just one of countless people standing up for themselves and others..

Don't get discouraged... Life is wonderful.. sometimes it is downright unfair, but it is all in how you view the world that keeps your heart on the right track...

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anti-gays may be loud, but the world is slowly tuning them out. Movement is steady in the direction of equality.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to say that, while there certainly is still progress to be made, we're moving ahead at a truly dizzying speed. As someone who's been out for more than 20 years, I never thought I would see the day that it all came together as quickly as it is now. I think the current state of LGBT affairs is profoundly encouraging in a way I never could have anticipated.

6. Tardis221B

Don't let the haters get you down (*hug*) Even though they might seem louder than the LGBT community at times, they aren't winning. To me, it seems that with each generation people are growing more accepting. Even in the past few years there's been immense progress. Here in the US the freedom-to-marry map keeps growing. Heck just this summer, what was it, 3 states legalized marriage equality. Things will, and things are getting better. Don't lose hope :slight_smile:

7. Budweiser

This is kind of what the pre-1960s world looked like before Martin Luther King Jr. If you had gone up to a black man and asked if he thought we could have a black president in 50 years he would have laughed! Or cried.

The government is actually tied up by The Constitution on the gay marriage issue. "No law shall be made respecting an establishment of religion..." that's actually the FIRST line of the FIRST amendment. It means that the government can't turn religious doctrine into a law (so if a Muslim man got into office, he could not make every women in America wear head scarves) and since religion is the main thing preventing acceptance, it pretty much HAS to become legal.

#7 Budweiser, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  8. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude the quran supports lgbt I know ppl who don't see it bc they think the Hadith is better but the Hadith is fake , don't lose faith bro please :slight_smile:

9. black-cat

I second everything this gentleman says. It feels so personal hearing and seeing about all this hate and it feels like everyone hates you for being who you are. I'm living proof that it gets better. We have an amazing community - just stick together and we *are* winning this battle.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there is a big problem in some countries with the religious right but I don't get that same feeling in most of Europe, where secular attitudes are on the on the ascendancy and religion is less fragmented.

Theologians are taking a more critical approach to doctrine and hermeneutics and the Western Anglican Church is inching closer to full equality, while the Methodist and Reformed Churches are having similar conversations. The Catholic Church (under Pope Francis) is also taking a more conciliatory line.

Bear in mind that religious conservatives have strange views and loud voices, so they are going to attract a degree of publicity when they make outrageous claims - which are not representative of the mainstream.