1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

being a soldier?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sam2, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hello, haven't posted on here in a while! and I don't even know if this is the right place to post this question, but what the hell. So in light of the conflict, I signed up to join the IDF(Israeli defense Force) I know i don't need to explain the atrocity's towards gay men/women in the rest of the middle east. And as a Jew i feel I need to defend the land my family has prayed for, for thousands of years. I guess my question is, has anyone ever served in the IDF? as a nation of people running from persecution I can't imagine there is too much Homophobia, but as it is in the Middle east, I really don't know. it was only 1993 that israel lifted its ban on homosexuality. But i just don't think a Nation of holocaust survivors would be too bigoted. any thought, experiances in either American or israeli army would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you have to be an Israeli citizen to join the IDF, or can most anyone sign up and ship out?

I am glad you have chosen to do it though. The fight is ugly as hell, but Israel's cause is righteous. Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

As for homophobia in the service, from what I've seen it is there, but it isn't institutionalized. Meaning plenty of guys are against gays, but if it's you and them in a firefight together, they will still run through a hail of bullets to save you. I can't imagine the IDF is much different as far as brother(sister)hood is concerned.

#2 Argentwing, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  3. Sam2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No you don't, in fact, u cannot become an Israeli citizen without joining the IDF. I answered some questions, the fact that I'm jewish helped. But they were happy to have Americans calling to sign up, I guess I'm not the first. And thank you! I hope you're right about brotherhood

4. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My counselor is originally from Israel. She said it's really only the older generation that has a big problem. Israel is IMO more liberal than the US in terms of gay rights, and even the IDF has sometimes been very obvious in its support, as the link below shows. Though, the article does say that there could still be some backlash, and I think that's just part of the macho military culture.
    Does viral IDF Gay Pride photo show full picture? | JPost | Israel News

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.