1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

body and facial hair

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dryad, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like having some body hair, not shaving my legs and armpits etc, and also I have a bit of facial hair... I used to feel ashamed of it, shave, wax, do laser etc untill last summer, when I experimented with letting my hair grow naturally. And I found out that once I got used to it, I didn't find it that bad. Eventually, I started to like it better that way and, now, it seems strange to me to have hairless skin.

But. When my mother or my aunt sais things like "you're a girl so you have to do it" or they're acting like it's a routine thing that everybody does, like there's no option, it gets on my nerves. "Your hair has start groeing too much, I'll book you an appointment" and when I say I don't mind they say "oh I see, she's going through a phase" or "ok I didn't expect you wanted to grow a mustache"... I'm just wondering... My mother sais she does it because she wants me to feel good, but I would feel much better if she encouraged me to feel beautiful the way I am.

I'm sorry for whining but I'm really upset...
    What are your experiences on this subject?

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If you can rock more hair, do you.

It's your body. It boils down to that, really.

Personally, if I saw a woman breaking social norms, I would be elated and infatuated. Hell, I do become elated and infatuated when I see it. That just lets folks know, you're confident and forging your own way in life -- very attractive and worthwhile qualities, of the many you seemingly already possess, Nedussa.

3. Budweiser

Did you tell your mother that you feel perfectly beautiful the way you are?

I do shave my armpits, but I personally feel better that way. I do not shave my legs even though I frequently wear skirts, and I do not care who notices. I don't have any facial hair but I've definitely seen ladies with it and I do not see the big deal. Maybe try to put it in a different light for your mom and aunt. Like, you don't buy into the media's beauty ideal. And maybe even after 30 years they won't believe it still isn't a phase, because some people just cannot understand that just about everything they "know" isn't rock solid truth, but just a piece of culture. (french girls dont' shave after all, you know)

4. black-cat

Your body, your rules. Do whatever makes you feel good, whether that's removing it all, removing some or keeping it natural. If it makes you proud to look in the mirror then you go ahead and you keep it. People are ghastly, and get very hung up about the little things. Good luck with your family :slight_smile:

5. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I totally understand this. Due to a hormone disorder I have, I have high levels of testosterone which equals with having to deal with fast-growing hair especially facial hair. Now, when I was younger and questioning, I was so self-conscious and my dear parents would book me into all kinds of hair-treatment removal things. But I hated how I had to rely on these things to function 'normally' and be seen as 'normal'..plus, I would feel terribly uncomfortable going to complete strangers despite them being professionals and leave them emotionally drained.

Over the years, it got worse and worse and then one day I just told my parents I had enough. So now I either just shave or use a tweezer. I shave my face when I feel like it or I'm going out, I don't really shave my legs unless I feel like it and the only time I shaved my armpits was when I was 13 and messing around.
    And sure, my aunts and my mum nag me to 'tweeze it instead of shaving. You look like a man when you shave your face' which I usually reply with 'I'm pretty sure most girls don't have stubble to deal with when they wake up the next morning' ....but I digress.

It's really up to you and what you're comfortable with. Sorry for rambling ^_^...