1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents Forcing Me To Do Sports

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ardard, Aug 8, 2014.

1. ardard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All my life my parents have forced me to do sports but i have always hated them, thats why every time they force me into a sport I end up quitting it. I have always been a more inside person and a computer "nerd". My parents know this because i help them with every single technology problem that they have. I am not overweight but i am not skinny.

What should i tell my parents/do. I am going to a new school this year and the school offers a ton of sports and they are already trying to force me into lacrosse. HELP!!! :help:

2. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    u could get a scholar ship

3. indie

indie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just be very blunt and straightforward with them <3

4. ilovebears

Tell them it's making you miserable. It worked for me.

If you're anything like me, you'll grow to hate the sport even more.

5. Really

Find some other club to join? Programming? Radio broadcasting? Chess? (As you can see I don't really know about any clubs).
    Maybe just joining something that will conflict with any practices might also get them off your back?

6. Tyrael

I don't know what age you are but I'd say it's best just to take a stand. The reason I mention age is purely because when you're like under 14 years old or so, parents think they know best and rarely listen to your reasoning. However it would be best just to stand your ground, explain why you don't want to do sports, why you don't enjoy them and most important offer alternatives! You must offer alternatives, find some other activity you can do after school/on days off etc which you can offer to do instead.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

maybe try the sport, if the personal group aspect of it it intimidates you maybe try like tennis or raquetball. if your school is more like a college (you said a ton of sports) maybe they'll have stuff like intro weight training or biking/cycling or jogging. I can understand a parent trying to get their kid outside for exercise, if the social pressure of the activity is what makes it miserable though see what else they offer.

8. Hyaline

As someone who turned their love of technology into a thriving career and did everything he could to get out of sports, my advice is....do the damn sports..

But here is why.. I am now almost 40. And as awkward as it is, I don't know the rules to Baseball, or Football (US or Soccer), hockey or even golf. Oddly enough, playing the games are not as important as being able to know how the game is played. It is one of the way men bond.

I wish like hell, I knew how to play golf now. It would probably help my career as I would be playing with people who make decisions regarding my job and career.

One thing you might do is do something like Boy Scouts. Where you are getting some physical activity and you are out bonding with people your own age. These group activites are important later in life.

And dammit to hell, if I didn't wish I'd found that I enjoy the feeling of exercising earlier. I've been doing the guy for 2.5 months at a pretty hard pace and I gotta tell you, its made a huge improvement.

So, don't get discouraged. odds are, your parents are trying to teach you things without you realizing it. Teamwork, bonding, sportsmanship like being a good loser, are all hugely important.