1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay in a Christian private school.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Tyler31, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Tyler31

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Before I get to the advice I think I need to share the situation that I am in.

I go to a Christian, extremely conservative school in Mississippi. If I had a choice I would not be going there. I am zoned for the worst public school in the state so public school is not an option, both my parents work so I can't be homeschooled. Everyone at my school is extremely homophobic, but I am out to one person there. She is still my friend but not supportive at all. She has told me many times that she thinks being gay is a sin and that marriage is between a man and a woman only.

Fyi I have come out to both my parents and they are great about it and very supportive of me.

Now on to advice.

Tomorrow, or I guess now today is my first day of school. I really do not want to talk to any of my friends including the girl that I am out to. But at the same time I still want to be social. I really cannot decide what to do. I only have one year left (my parents said that I can do online school my senior year), so what do all of you think.

2. CBA

CBA Guest

I would just be friendly with people, get a huge pack of friends around you at all times.. Like, you don't need to be close friends but just try to be social. If any homophobic comments comes up, just move on to the next person

3. Hyaline

Being gay doesn't define you. You have to think of your personal safety first before being honest about being gay. If your parents are supportive, ask them for help and advice. Odds are, you will need to be silent about who you are until you are out of school and in a place where you have more control over your environment.

Be brave and hang in there, it does get better!

4. SensesFailX

Being social still seems like an option so I think making lots of new friends would be great for you. I know its hard not being out but, like you said you only have one more year. Hopefully you can get a good band of friends and tough it out, and be on the lookout for anyone who doesn't seem too conservative. You never know the people you can find even in the seemingly worst of places. Good luck