1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you sign up for some colleges that train you to get jobs any time of the year ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by stocking, Aug 12, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Colleges such as Everest or Stanford brown where you can sign up and get training to get a job right away is anyone able to sign up for classes at any time ?.
    If you don't know what I mean those college you see on tv that show ads with people doing crappy jobs and then they call them and they train them to work a better job and the person is much happier .

2. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Can you sign up for some colleges that train you to get jobs any time of the yea

You can sign up for said colleges, the only fact of the matter is you aren't guaranteed a job and that's with any college or university. Do you have an interest in a certain field?

For most community colleges you just need a Diploma/GED, as for trade schools, some will allow you to enroll without a Diploma/GED.

#2 TheAwakening, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Can you sign up for some colleges that train you to get jobs any time of the yea

General rule of thumb: Any school you see advertised on TV is probably not your best choice. Most of the for-profits grossly overcharge for a substandard education that you can get for far less money from a local community college or nonprofit trade school.

Another important factor: Many of the programs train you for careers for which good paying jobs can be hard to find. For example, in California, there are a ton of phelebotomy (blood drawing) programs, but not many jobs. So lots of people that have the certificate but are working at Walmart or somewhere because they can't find a job.

It's always wise to check the occupational outlook data (published by the US Dept of Labor and some states) to see how many jobs there are in a given field. Additionally, it's always wise to compare 3 or 4 schools offering the same program, and in particular, to try and find the program you want offered through a community college. It will nearly always be better education for less money.

There are also some good online/distance-based programs, but they aren't the easiest to find, since the distance marketplace tend to also be overrun by shoddy for-profit schools.

Do you have a specific career area in mind?

4. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Not to mention some corporations treat certificates earned from for profit universities as a lesser merit, and some flat out don't accept them at all.

So it would best to actually start at a two year university/community college then further your education to the university and/or graduate level from there.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Well I wanted to either train to become a receptionist , or a dental assistant . Those aren't my dream jobs that I actually ,want i'm just looking for a job that can pay where I can live on my own because my home life is not safe, for me and my mom is abusive plus things have gotten worse and she is home everyday now . I want to leave by next year I don't see this happening anytime soon with the job I have now .

6. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I recommend paying a visit to your local community colleges and find out more information on their programs. If not that, you can also visit your local community colleges websites and read about information related to programs they offer.

After that, if you have any specific careers you're interested in just search the Bureau of Labor & Statistics as Chip suggested for more in depth information about said careers such as their salaries, growth/security, prerequisites etc.

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

The community college in my town isn't very good with getting jobs they usually just hand you a crappy book and tell you to look with minimum wage jobs . Plus it's expensive I'm feeling really trapped . Now saying I'm not going to follow your suggestions but man things have gotten hard lately and I feel so trapped right now .

8. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Hm, how many hours do you currently work at your job now? Is it possible to pick up another job?

Also, keep in mind the following;
    - Where you want to stay and the rent you'll be paying there
    - Average utility costs (Activation as well, if applicable.)
    - Food
    - Miscellaneous (Internet & phone bill etc.)
    - Transportation costs (Transit system or automobile costs, such as gas)

The reason I put up those numbers just to encourage you if you haven't already, to estimate the average amount it will cost for you to live on your own on a monthly basis.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2014 at 07:41 PM ----------

Also, the government has various grants and aid including the Pell Grant to offset the costs of a higher education. At my community college they also offer a work study program as well, so not only are my classes paid for by the government but I was also given a student worker position which pays minimum wage.

The availability of federal student worker positions depends on your college. As for your eligibility for federal grants (financial aid that doesn't have to be paid back) that depends upon how much money you make and your parent's income if you're dependent on them.

More info here
    https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/pell

#8 TheAwakening, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I work for 5 hours I'm currently looking for another job to replace the one I have , I'm signing up for financial aid .

10. TheAwakening

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Good! :slight_smile: I hope you're eligible for enough money so your classes are paid for in full! As for the student worker position, some colleges have it and others don't.

I also recommend searching for ALL community colleges near you, perhaps you missed a few? This can be done by a simple Google search.

One other thing, make sure the college you're going to is accredited.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I only have 2 near me which sucks

12. Maeve

Community colleges are great! They don't have to be super fancy to get you a good, basic education. There are only 2 colleges for hundreds of miles around for me but they both offer great classes.