1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I seriously need to PROVE I am gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaynerd64, Aug 12, 2014.

1. gaynerd64

I came out to my parents a month ago and everything went well... except that looking back at it I don't think they really believed me. I know it sounds stupid, but is there any way to prove to them that I am actually gay?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope.
    Coming out is so you can be honest about who are, not to prove yourself. Just wait until you get start dating guys, then your parents will believe you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Princess Danica

Yeah you came out already so you should just take their reaction for what it is. Just live your life and sooner or later they'll realize you were telling the truth. Don't worry about it :slight_smile:

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NO! haha, i learned this the hard way. yea i'd go with what HM03 says, just wait it out and your parents will eventually figure out that you are telling the truth, and start dating guys. continue being yourself, nothing more, nothing less.

5. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be prepared for them to have a shocked reaction when you tell them you have a date with a guy. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. I was the first real date my partner introduced his parents to. They had known he was gay for months and are very liberal about it but that first meeting of their son's actual bf I could tell was very uncomfortable for them.

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would seriously weird my dad out if I brought a boyfriend or anybody other than a girl to meet him. I think he'd get over it fast, but... He's used to me looking at girls with him, he's just not used to me looking at everybody else. I'll be like, yeah, I told you Dad.

You don't have to prove anything to anybody. This isn't a court room.

7. adrianislander

i think some parents hold on to that weird belief that "you're just going through a phase" and are just sorting out their feeling about the situation. it's a lot to come to terms with you know? all good parents, and your parents seem the type, always have plans for their children and sometimes it lets them down a bit when those plans don't come to fruition. but i don't think they need proof that you're gay and they seem fine with it. you don't need to prove to anyone what you are as long as you're happy with yourself.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

You don't need to prove shit to anyone. Someone who isn't heteronormative may be straight and cis identifying but is thought of as gay shouldn't have to prove they are straight.

Be you. Period.

9. BelleFromHell

Same here! My godmother thinks I'm just confused. She claims to be 100% straight, yet she's been to almost every gay club in Atlanta, New York, New Orleans, and Las Vegas. Talk about hypocrisy.

10. Sam.i.am1130

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Your parents are just being hard.. Ignore them..

11. Dakeli27

Of course not! In fact, if they aren't taking you seriously, I'd recommend going up to them and asking why they think you need to prove to them who you are. You shouldn't have to prove yourself to them or to yourself.