1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am afraid of PE lessons...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MyLittleWorld, Aug 13, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't sure where to post this really, I guess it's the right place.
    So I will try to explain it from the start... when I little, I liked to play outside with kids, I liked to play with a ball outside, I liked to run around, I was really active and I enjoyed sport. I still always watch football or basketball on TV, but I don't think I would like to play it.

Then I started to go to school. First I enjoyed it, but later, I started to see that my teacher is making fun of me. I must mention that I'm diagnosed with asthma and chronic hay-fever, I can't do exercises in the stadium outside in some seasons. Back to my teacher, I was shy and quiet and I was afraid to do things infront of others, it's still my problem. I started to not attend PE lessons, and I was close to not passing it. When I went to high school, I got a special group, it meant I could do PE, but just as much as I can. And because of my fear, through 2 years, I've attended PE only 2 times I guess... classmates asked me why I am not doing PE, but I just kept saying my doctor said so.

So now I'm in this awful situation. I want to change that, and I want to overcome my fear. Unlucky me, because teacher here is not as bad as my first teacher, but really not better... she is rough and she doesn't listen. But now I'm stuck in this. I don't know how to play anything, I was afraid of basketball or football balls, when I saw one coming at me, I just ran from it and I didn't even tried to catch it, probably because I think I can't...but I know I can, it's just in that moment, I feel such a loser. One time my friend asked me why I wasn't going to PE (same question always) and I said it's because of my health, and we were talking, and she said I was weak for that... It killed my self-esteem. I know I could do something, but I don't know where to start. The only thing I do well in sports is running. I can run REALLY fast if I want to. But they don't do it much...or they do it in the stadium, and I can't go there. And in the sport's hall, they climb this wall with fake rocks, I don't know how it's called... and If I would have to climb it, I would look like a looser. Like seriously, I don't know anything what they do, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it... But I want to change that. I have to change that, because I can't be afraid forever, right?

Sorry that it's so long, I just wanted to ask you guys, how can I overcome this fear of doing something infront of others, kill this fear of failure and everything? school starts in 2 weeks, and I have to start doing something...:confused:

2. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Imagine everyone in their underwear :slight_smile:

3. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it helpful? :grin:

4. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It has been helpful to me in the past LOLS xD :slight_smile:)

5. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish it was so easy to overcome fears.

6. hip2hop

Out Status:
    Some people
    Its okay I was like that too when I went to school. Do you hang out with your friends after school? If you do perhaps you could start by practicing some simple exercises like catching a small nerf (spongy) ball. Or perhaps you could focus on running when you have to play basketball, football etc.

The other thing that helped me a lot, was to stand in the bathroom stall for about a minute and do the wonder woman pose. Its when you stand up straight put your hands on your hips and smile, like a super hero lol. When you do that it helps open up your chest so you get more oxygen into your lungs, it helps boost the confidence. I personally use this technique all the time at work, when I was going to school or any time when I feel shy, discouraged and in general upset. :grin:

7. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually thinking about practicing, I would focus on running, but I think my teacher won't let me do something different than others. Even trough because of my asthma, I should have totally different program...it's ust my school doesn't have one.

I think I have heard of it. It's like low power poses and high power poses, and I red standing like a wonder woman like you said lol increases testosterone, I never really tried and I'm not sure it works. Does it really gives you confidence?

8. Abi

Abi Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

Is THAT a cig' in your mouth in your avatar?!?!?!?!! Smoking is horrible for your lungs, it makes asthma way worst

9. hip2hop

Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh yes the wonder woman pose works wonders for me :slight_smile: I do all the time now because I am so painfully shy...its amazing how well it works.

10. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not me. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2014 at 12:39 AM ----------

It's kind of weird and awkward to stand like that lol

11. Budweiser

If you eat healthy, then you will feel better and physical activity will be easier. Here's a neat website for recipes Thug Kitchen If your parents buy a lot of junk food or anything... it may be harder... but I'm sure they'd buy healthy food for you if you wanted.

Also, this might seem crazy, but bare with me... if you practice it mentally, you will perform it better physically. Here's the wikipedia page if you want to read more on this type of thing Motor imagery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I'm the exact same way. I'm all scrawny and I run away from the balls and I can't go up the rock climbing wall at all. Strangely, we seem to be a minority >.< But we are together in support!

12. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I eat pretty healthy, I'm a vegetarian.Physical activity for me is not hard, the problem is my thinking..

13. Formality

The power posing is pretty neat. When I was about to have this presentation that I hadn't had much time preparing, I did a power pose for 2 minutes in the bathroom just before the presentation. And I can tell you it's the best presentation I've ever done. I'm sure it would help boost your confidence as well. :slight_smile: