1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Existing not Living

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Closet88, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been a while since I've posted anything on here. I've actually done a lot in that time. I spent 2 months travelling around the USA, told my sister and 3 of my friends that I'm gay, hooked up with a few guys and had a genuinely great time. However since returning home and going back to work, reality has hit me hard. I'm currently involved in a dispute with my employers about working hours. I have to travel quite far for work and am unable to work certain hours, but my employers won't budge and are trying to force me to. This means it's looking increasingly likely that I will be forced to look for a new job. I would love to take this opportunity to find a new job in a new place, where I can make a fresh start and just be me, rather than worrying about how other people perceive me. However the problem is I have no idea what I want to do or how I can actually find a job in a new place before I actually live there.

I feel really down lately. I'm tired all the time and am just not my usual self. I'm 25 and am just thinking "what's the point?" There's got to be more to life! Basically I just want cheering up, or to hear from people who've actually just randomly moved to a new city and got a new job. My life has no purpose or direction at the moment and I hate feeling like this. I'm usually quite a positive and ambitious person.

2. Najlen

What are your interests? If you find a new job, go for one that relates to what you enjoy. You can apply to a job anywhere, and move if you are accepted. You don't have to live where it is to apply for it. I personally think that the best way to stay happy and motivated is to do what you love. There is much more to life, of course there is! It takes a while sometimes to find your niche, but you will. And your random thought for the day is... It is 12:40 at night and I smell french fries.

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear that you are feeling so down. The stress and strain of the daily grind can really knock the wind out of our sails and a long commute to work doesn't help. It feels like you are living for the job and that's never going to fill you with positive energy, is it? Returning to work after a good holiday is a bit of a blow too.

From what you say, I'm guessing your employers are not the sort to embrace the idea of flexible working. It's not good business sense to take that attitude these days, but some business leaders still can't see how it makes commercial sense.

Could it be that you are just really tired and worn down by the stress of it all?

You didn't say what you are doing now or what qualifications you hold, so would that be a starting point? See what you can already do and decide if you need to improve your skill set to open up new opportunities. That's what I had to do when I quit the rat race several years ago. It was stressful, but I don't regret it.

The job situation is still not great in the UK, but there are signs of improvement, so don't lose hope on that front.

On a more positive angle, you have been able to tell people that you are gay and it's allowed you the freedom to start having a good time. Amid the stress and strain of the day to day don't lose sight of that. Coming out is an achievement for all of us. :slight_smile:

4. Yosia

Eat ice cream, ice cream is life ^.^

5. TabletopFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would actually stick with the job, and then keep applying for new ones. In this economy, employers are more likely to hire someone who's still in the work force. If you end up quitting, without any other options, you're gonna find yourself in a different kinda all time low. One that's a darker place than where you currently are.

Sometimes, as much as I hate to say it, we just need grit our teeth, get our game face on and suck it up. And like Sinon said, eat some ice cream because ice cream is life.

6. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have always enjoyed writing. For as long as I can remember I've always wanted a job which involves this but it would be so difficult to find one and I just don't have any confidence in myself that I could be successful. I just keep waiting for something to happen, when I know deep down I need to make an effort and grab the bull by the horns.

7. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Yeah I'm 25 too! I have no idea what I want..

8. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I had a feeling I would hate going back to work after travelling for so long. You're right though, at the minute I am just living to work. I'm out of the house for 12 hours a day 5 days a week, so when I do have a day off I'm just exhausted.

I have my own team in my job, so flexible working wouldn't really be an option unless I stepped down, which I really don't want to do. I currently work in HR for a large company, don't want to give too much away on here sorry. I have a degree but my current job doesn't even require a degree. It's just a boring job which I don't have a passion for. I would love to do something involving writing, but that wouldn't make me money.

Thanks for the compliments :slight_smile:.

---------- Post added 17th Aug 2014 at 11:02 PM ----------

I actually walked out of a job before I got my current one. And yeah it wasn't great. I had to claim Jobseeker's benefits for 2 months, it was horrible. So I definitely won't do that again.

I like the idea of ice cream :slight_smile:.